Archive for the ‘Gadgets’ Category
Moth Orchids are one of the most popular types of Orchid flowers. They look very beautiful and give an elegant look to your garden. They are commonly found in South East Asia and Northern parts of Australia. They can be grown in homes as they are a perfect option for an amateur grower. These flowers are very easy to grow as compared to the other types of Orchids but still they need proper care and handling.
Here some important and helpful information is given that would guide you to care for your Moth Orchids. The important factors to be considered are:
Now these factors would be described one by one.
Orchids grow very finely at the normal temperatures in houses. They require different temperatures in day and night. So the ideal temperature in the day time is 70 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit and in night time these flowers require 60 to 70 degree Fahrenheit.
Moth Orchids require indirect light. It is ideal and preferable to place them in front of east-facing window. The color of its foliage indicates that how much light is required by them.
- Bright Green Foliage (means its getting correct amount of light)
- Deep Green Leaves (light is not sufficient)
- Yellow Leaves (absorbing too much light)
Moth Orchids like humidity that’s why they are mostly found in rain forests. In warm weather, they require moisture after one or two days. The humidity is lower in homes, so it becomes necessary to moist them. To do this you can place a tray containing stones and water below your plant. Due to evaporation, the surrounding air will become moist and humidity requirements would be fulfilled.
It is better to water your Moth Orchids early in the morning once a week. They require more water in summer season as compared to that of winter. Some people get confused about watering their Orchids. The best time to water them is when the pot becomes dry.
Following the above instructions would help you a lot to take good care of your Moth Orchids.
Perennial plants are versatile and are available in a wide variety of colors, shapes and sizes therefore amateur gardeners love to grow these plants in their garden. Like others, these plants also need special care and handling if you want them to bloom healthily and beautifully. If you are also looking for some tips for perennial plants care, then this post may prove very useful for you as I am going to give you some tips and instructions regarding perennial plants care:
- Perennials should be grown in well-drained soil. If you have grown them at a location where it becomes a pool after rainfall then you are required to change their location.
- Perennials are required to be watered regularly especially when it is their first growing season. Most of the perennials require to be watered once a week up to a depth of eight inches. The best time for watering perennial plants is morning time so that their leaves can become dry before evening.
- Different perennial plants require different light requirements so I would like to suggest you to plant them at a location where they can receive at least 6 hours of sunlight. But there are some varieties of perennials like ferns which require sunlight early in the morning and shade in afternoon.
- As far as fertilizing is concerned, perennials should be fertilized in early spring before their new growth appears. Every 100 square feet of planting area requires about one to two pounds of grainy fertilizer.
- You also require pulling weeds around the plants on regular basis. In order to control growth of weeds, you are recommended to apply 1 or 2 inches of organic mulch like shipped bark around plants. Mulch actually preserves dampness and controls growth of weeds.
- Spent blooms should be removed as it will extend blooming time.
- Last but not the least; you should keep flower beds neat and clean as dirty flower beds can attract pests to attack plants.
These were some very useful tips which you should follow for proper care of your perennials to have healthy and beautiful blooming plants in your garden.
Do you want to know about tiger lily flowers? Yes! This name sounds strange. Actually tiger lily is an orange flower having dark spots on its petals. These flowers have sweet fragrance and have various other names like ditch lily, Wood Lily, Leopard Lily and Oregon Lily etc. Here in this post, I have collected some facts about tiger lily flowers. If you are interested in knowing about these flowers, then this post will be of great interest for you.
These flowers are not difficult to grow at all. All you need to do is to keep the soil wet since tiger lily flowers like dampness. This flower produces bulbs instead of seeds which can be planted in the fall for having mid-summer blooms.
These flowers don’t require to be fertilized. They only need fertilizers if you are planting them in somewhat poor soil. Unlike other bulb flowers, tiger lilies require winter cold to grow healthily. While planting bulbs of tiger lilies, you must make sure that the distance between them should be from 9 to 12 inches. Moreover bulbs should be planted 6 inches deep in a sunny location.
Types of Tiger Lilies
There are two types of tiger lilies named:
- Common wildflower
Wildflower type grows from tuberous roots while oriental tiger lilies are planted by bulbs and they are dug up later and then they are divided.
- Bloom size of tiger lilies is from 4 to 6 inches long
- These flowers are 3 inch wide
- Flowers have bright orange or red color having black spots on the petals with six stamens
- Since it stands tall, it makes a beautiful backdrop to garden area
- This plant creates leaves having a width of 2 inches
Bulbs of these flowers are dug up and are boiled and then eaten by Americans. This practice is also common in other oriental countries. They taste like potatoes and are commonly used in Chinese dish moo shu pork. Brown pear dessert dish is also prepared from tiger lilies by placing the bulbs inside a pear along with sugar. Then they are steamed and eaten.
These were some basic and interesting facts about tiger lilies. I hope that this post will urge you to grow these flowers in your garden.
Tropical plants have their unique needs and requirements like warmth and humidity. If you are living in a cooler region and want to grow tropical plants then the best option is to grow them in greenhouse so that you can control their environment. Here I am going to share with you some tips that will help you a lot in growing tropical plants in greenhouse:
- Firstly, you are required to prepare your greenhouse. Preparation of greenhouse means that you should have to make sure that indoor lights, heater, fan and thermometers are working properly as they are necessary for the healthy growth of tropical plants. Misting system should also be properly installed for maintaining the right amount of humidity.
- Tropical plants should be grown in trays or pots so that they can be moved around when necessary. If you are growing them in pots, make sure that pots have drainage holes in order to avoid standing water. For good nutrition and drainage, tropical plants should be planted in a combination of draining soil and compost.
- Tropical plants should be placed at a location where they can thrive properly. Some tropical plants require shade while others require sunshine so you are required providing them with appropriate environment in greenhouse for their proper growth.
- While organizing the plants in greenhouse, make sure that you have left enough space between plants so that you can walk between them easily for watering and checking them for pest control.
- Tropical plants should be watered every other day with required amount of water because some plants will require more water while some will require less amount of water. To maintain humidity at a level of 50% to 60%, you are required to mist greenhouse daily. For this, you can either use a misting system or a garden hose.
- Temperature should be monitored frequently using thermometer. You can use heater to maintain temperature up to 80 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit. Tropical plants will also require air circulation for which you can use fan. Also use electric lights to provide plants with enough light for 6 to 8 hours a day. If you are using heater or fan, you will also have to take care of moisture of plants as fan or heater can dry the plants quickly.
Follow these simple steps and tips to grow beautiful tropical plants in greenhouse. I hope that this article will be of great use for you.
Mostly people follow the misconception that tropical flowers are difficult to grow but it is not that difficult as people think. But it is true that their growing requirements are somewhat different and need special attention. My friend loves to grow tropical flower but was unaware of tips to grow tropical flowers successfully so to help him out, I made some research and gathered useful tips. These tips really worked so I want to share them with you also:
Selection of Container: Firstly you will choose your favorite tropical plant which you want to grow and then select a container whose size is according to that of your plant. Plastic containers are preferred for this purpose as they are known for retaining moisture for longer period of time.
Temperature: Temperature required by tropical flowers is different during day and night so tropical flowers like a temperature of 50 to 65 degrees during night and during day temperature requirements are changed as tropical flowers need a temperature of 70 to 80 degrees.
Humidity: During my research, I found that humidity level should be maintained between 60 and 80 percent if you want to grow healthy tropical flowers. Humidity levels can be enhanced and elevated by using humidity trays after filling them with pebbles and water. But it doesn’t mean that after providing humidity trays to plants is enough for their growth as you should regularly check that trays have adequate amount of fresh water.
Light Requirements: Bright filtered light is required by tropical flowers as plants that thrive in tropics require high light but they can’t tolerate direct light. So the best locations for tropical plants are east windows that can receive light for several numbers of hours. Western and southern windows which receive filtered light are also perfect.
Potting Medium: In the pot of tropical flowers, such potting medium should be provided that can give plants adequate drainage. To increase drainage, a proven method is to layer pebbles to the bottom of pot containing tropical plants.
Watering: To maintain the moisture of soil, water the plants but take care that plants should not sit in damp soil. These plants require plenty of fresh water but they don’t like their roots covered with water for longer period of time.
Air Circulation: I was surprised to know that tropical flowers require so much of air circulation that using a small fan is needed to be used to provide them with plenty of fresh air.
Fertilizing: Tropical plants need to be fertilized with a water-soluble fertilizer which is mixed to 1/2 strength. During their growing season, these plants require fertilizer after every 10 or 14 days and during winter season this frequency should be decreased.
After following these tips, my friend managed to grow beautiful tropical flowers so I would also recommend you to follow the above given requirements.
Marigolds are attractive and good looking flowers that can enhance grace and beauty of garden. They are very easy to grow and the best thing about these flowers is that their seeds can be preserved to plant these flowers and there is no need to buy them every year. I have done some research on the methods of preserving marigold seeds and the best method which I found is explained below:
Things you will Needs to Dry Seeds
The things that will be required for drying and preserving seeds include:
- Dead Seeds heads of marigolds
- Paper bag
Method of preserving marigold seeds is as follows:
- Picking Time: Marigold seeds are picked during fall season, so choose a sunny morning to pick the seeds but remember to do this after the dew has dried.
- Seeds to Be Picked: Now pick a bunch of seeds from plant that are fleshy and hard. Don’t pick spongy seeds.
- Placing Them in Tray: Place these seeds in a tray spreading them in one layer.
- Drying the Seeds: Place seeds in a warm and dry place. This process can take place in an oven that makes the drying process faster. Temperature required to dry them is 140 degrees. It is very important to let the seeds dry because if they don’t get dry, they will be eaten by bugs and insects and your effort to preserve seeds for next season will go in smoke.
- Storing the Seeds after Drying: After drying the seeds, put them in a paper bag and keep it in a cool and dry place. Do remember to keep them covered to protect them from spiders and mice as seeds are delicious food for them. An interesting fact about the marigold seeds is that each seed has further 150 seeds so picking a few handfuls of seeds would be more than enough for your garden.
Here the process of preserving marigold seeds is completed. Now they are ready to be separated and planted in spring season. Seeds that should be picked must have bright black section, so pick seeds carefully, dry them and then plant them in your garden.