Archive for the ‘News’ Category
A rain garden is built in an unoccupied space that can capture rain water. By building a rain garden you can have such a beautiful garden that grows and flourishes by using rainwater. As the storm water contributes a lot in polluting the natural water bodies like ponds and streams, building a rain garden can be proved very helpful in removing that storm water. Building a rain garden is not as difficult as it seems to be. Follow some simple steps and build your own rain garden.
Important Steps to be followed
- The first step is to choose a suitable location. Keep in mind that the distance between rain garden and your home should be approximately 10 feet as it will stop flooding in your house. Try to choose a naturally low space in your yard. You should also make sure that you have chosen a sunny location for your rain garden.
- If you have selected a low space to make a rain garden then there is no need of a drainage area. But make sure that the selected area should receive rain water during rainfall. The problem occurs when you have selected a roof or hard surface for capturing water. In that case, you will have to measure a drainage area and multiply it with number associated with the type of soil.
- Now you have to create a design of your rain garden. The best way to do this is to make a design on the paper so that you can create the best appearance of your garden.
- The most important step is to choose the plants for your rain garden. It is recommended to choose native plants as they can adapt to the environment and climate. Make sure that the plants you have chosen for your garden are able to grow in both wet and dry areas as rain garden will be filled with water frequently.
- Now keeping in mind the design of your garden make the boundary and shape of your rain garden.
- The next step is to dig the garden approximately 4-8 inches deep. Now prepare the soil and adjust it with 2”-3” of manure and mix it well with the soil.
- Place the plants according to the design you have made for your rain garden. The distance between plants should be at least one foot. After planting every flower and plant, step back and have a look at your garden to ensure that they go well with the design you have made for your garden.
- You should use frayed woodchips that can’t drift or scatter. Next you should apply mulch two to three inches deep to keep the wetness in the soil. It will also help to keep the weeds out.
- Watering the garden is a vital step. If it not rains for two weeks after you have built the rain garden, then it is recommended to water it every other day until it looks that your garden have started growing at its own.
I hope that above mentioned steps would be very helpful for you to build your rain garden.