Posts Tagged ‘Indoor Gardens’
Moss has a unique and unusual nature as it does not develop actual root system. Instead of it, this plant produces spores which develop a structure like roots. This root-like structure grows into ground and attaches to the surface. This feature of moss make it the most suitable and attractive plant for creating indoor garden. Do you also want to create an indoor moss garden? If yes then you need some basic supplies and a little bit of efforts to grow indoor moss garden. Here in this post, I will provide you with a set of instructions which will help you a lot in creating indoor moss garden:
- First thing which you will need to grow moss is a suitable container. Moss will easily grow in vessels like small plastic aquariums, glass vases and bottles. Moss also likes humidity to thrive so it looks for an environment where it can get warmth and moisture.
- Next step is to find moss which you will grow indoors. You may have some moss grown in your backyard. For your assistance, I will like to inform you that you can find moss in shaded areas where the soil is damp. You may also find some moss grown at your friend’s house so you can also take some cuttings from there.
- Harvesting outdoor moss should be done carefully using a shovel. While taking a patch of moss make sure that you are also taking an inch of growing medium along with the patch. It is necessary for the safety of moss’s root system. To transport moss to your house, place the cut patch in a plastic plate.
- Take your container and fill one quarter of it with gravel or stones. Then fill up container half full of soil. As moss like acidic conditions to grow, you can also add a skinny layer of peat moss on the top if soil layer. After making a layer of soil, don’t compress it because moss likes loose and non-compacted soil. Place patch of moss on the layer of soil and then press it down making sure it sits properly on top of layer of soil.
- Now place your moss garden in such area of your house which is semi shaded and away from direct sunlight. Mist your moss garden regularly using a spraying bottle filled with water at room temperature. Moss should be kept damp but not saturated with water because over watering can cause moss to rot. Check your moss garden daily to know whether it needs to be misted or not.
These were some basic instructions about growing indoor moss garden. Follow these and have beautiful moss garden indoors.
Growing an indoor garden is very beneficial as it plays an important role in reducing air pollution in your house and consequently it will also prove healthy for you. Many people want to create indoor gardens but don’t know the exact way of making it possible. It is quite easy to create indoor garden if some useful tips and instructions are followed. Such instructions are given below:
Firstly you will have to purchase plants that can grow and flourish indoors. These plants may include some varieties of ivy and tropical plants.
Selection of Containers
You will have to select containers of good quality. Plastic containers should never be used as they can not support a growing plant due to their light weight. Remember that the containers are not only necessary for the proper growth of plants but also they affect the decoration of your house. Bad quality containers can spoil the outlook and décor of your house.
Choice of Soil
Potting soil should be used to grow the plants indoors. Some people make a mistake by using the topsoil from their yard. It can be bad for the healthy growth of plants because topsoil doesn’t contain the nutrients essential for plants.
Selection of Location
The best area for growing the plants indoors is that which receives a lot of sunlight during the day time. An eastern-facing window would be the perfect location as it receives a large amount of sunlight in the afternoon.
Keeping the Plants Mist
Indoor plants need to be misted frequently. In big and modern homes, there are air conditioners which give a pleasant feeling to human as they deplete the indoor moisture. But this is not good for indoor plants. Therefore it is necessary to provide moisture to the plants daily with a spray bottle. Remember to fill the spraying bottle with filtered water.
Arrangement of Plants
The plants should be arranged in an attractive way to appeal the guests that visit your house. You may hang some plants from the ceiling. Spider plants and ivies are best for this purpose as they grow downwards. While making plants grouping, place taller plants in the back of short plants so that short plants become visible.
These were some simple instruction to create indoor gardens. Hopefully it will help you a lot.