Archive for January 2011
There is a general perception that flowers blossom in spring and summer season but there is large number of flowers that can decorate and brighten-up your garden in the cold months of January and February. Winter flowers have a large number of varieties which add more color and style to your garden. Here I am providing you a list of flowers that bloom in January and February hoping that you will plant them and make your garden looking as beautiful as in spring season.
Witch Hazel is a shrub which produces sweet-smelling flowers having yellow or orange color. These flowers grow in the form of bunches. They start to bloom in January and continue to blossom till March and April. It is an attractive and useful shrub at the same time as its roots and bark are used in different medicines.
These are very elegant-looking flowers and are quite easy to grow. They have different colors such as white, purple, pink or yellow. These flowers grow well in specific conditions. They require fractional sunlight and acidic soil to grow well. These are the best flowers that you can grow in winter because they can even survive in snowy weather.
It is a late winter flower having yellow flowers. They are mostly grown on slopes for covering the ground. As it is a creeping plant, so it looks very graceful climbing fences or grilles. If you want to grow this in your garden, you have to keep two factors in mind: they like well-drained soil and full or partial sun.
They grow and survive in the season even when the ground is covered with snow. These are star-shaped flowers having violet-blue color and white color in the middle. They are very beautiful flowers and are recommended to grow in your garden.
It is also among the flowers that grow in winter. Most of its species produce flowers in January but some of the species produce flowers in spring or late autumn. They produce flowers of white color and they look like white carpet when grown in their native areas. When they are in their full bloom, they give an impression as the ground is covered with snow.
The Winter Iris are the flowers that bloom throughout the winter season. They are aromatic flowers refreshing your mind with lemony-vanilla fragrance. They have different colors like deep blue, white and lilac. They like sunny spots to grow well. They do not bloom well in the winter if they don’t get sunlight during summer. Like most of other winter flowers, they also like well-drained soil.
These were some flowers and plants that you can grow in cold months of January and February and enhance the look of garden even in the winter season.
A rain garden is built in an unoccupied space that can capture rain water. By building a rain garden you can have such a beautiful garden that grows and flourishes by using rainwater. As the storm water contributes a lot in polluting the natural water bodies like ponds and streams, building a rain garden can be proved very helpful in removing that storm water. Building a rain garden is not as difficult as it seems to be. Follow some simple steps and build your own rain garden.
Important Steps to be followed
- The first step is to choose a suitable location. Keep in mind that the distance between rain garden and your home should be approximately 10 feet as it will stop flooding in your house. Try to choose a naturally low space in your yard. You should also make sure that you have chosen a sunny location for your rain garden.
- If you have selected a low space to make a rain garden then there is no need of a drainage area. But make sure that the selected area should receive rain water during rainfall. The problem occurs when you have selected a roof or hard surface for capturing water. In that case, you will have to measure a drainage area and multiply it with number associated with the type of soil.
- Now you have to create a design of your rain garden. The best way to do this is to make a design on the paper so that you can create the best appearance of your garden.
- The most important step is to choose the plants for your rain garden. It is recommended to choose native plants as they can adapt to the environment and climate. Make sure that the plants you have chosen for your garden are able to grow in both wet and dry areas as rain garden will be filled with water frequently.
- Now keeping in mind the design of your garden make the boundary and shape of your rain garden.
- The next step is to dig the garden approximately 4-8 inches deep. Now prepare the soil and adjust it with 2”-3” of manure and mix it well with the soil.
- Place the plants according to the design you have made for your rain garden. The distance between plants should be at least one foot. After planting every flower and plant, step back and have a look at your garden to ensure that they go well with the design you have made for your garden.
- You should use frayed woodchips that can’t drift or scatter. Next you should apply mulch two to three inches deep to keep the wetness in the soil. It will also help to keep the weeds out.
- Watering the garden is a vital step. If it not rains for two weeks after you have built the rain garden, then it is recommended to water it every other day until it looks that your garden have started growing at its own.
I hope that above mentioned steps would be very helpful for you to build your rain garden.
Tulips are among the most elegant-looking flowers you can ever have in your garden. These are the first flowers that blossom in spring so; good care should be taken of tulip. Taking care of tulips is not a difficult task but even then they require care so that they can come back each year giving your garden a colorful and attractive look.
Some Important Tips
Here are some important tips regarding taking care of tulips:
Tulips are among one of the flowers that like plenty of water. Although they get enough water naturally by spring rains but if you live in some area that is warm and where rainfall rate is less, then keep in mind to give them sufficient amount of water.
Protection from Animals
It is quite important to protect your tulips from rabbits, squirrels and other small animals as they like to chew and eat fresh plants. The best way to protect your tulips from animals is to use a spray that is animal repellent. Another tip which you can follow is to make a barrier around your beautiful and attractive tulips flowers. You can even use net to protect the bulbs you have recently planted.
The best time to fertilize your tulips is early spring. The method of fertilizing is so simple. All you have to do is loosen the soil around the plant and drop fertilizer around it. Always keep in mind that fertilizing once in a spring is enough for tulips so don’t try to fertilize them frequently as it may prove harmful.
Transplanting the Tulips
In case you have to transplant tulips, make sure that you are keeping them in the same state as they are in. The most important thing that needs special consideration is keeping the soil unbroken while removing the plant from the pot. Your plant would die if the soil is separated from the bulbs.
Cutting and Trimming Time
The best time for cutting the flowers stems is when the blooms start to droop. While cutting the flowers stems, make sure that foliage remains in place. It is necessary if you want the plants continue to nourish the bulb in warm season. You can trim the tulip leaves level with the earth at the end of season.
These were some important tips that will help you to take good care of your beautiful and attractive tulips giving your garden an attractive look.
Virginia bluebell flowers which are also known as Virginia cowslip are the most elegant and good looking flowers. These are persistent flowers found in North America. These are very beautiful flowers and growing them in your garden will add natural exquisiteness and beauty to the garden. If you want to grow them in your garden but you don’t get sufficient information then read this article as it contains all the facts about Virginia bluebell flowers.
The bluebell flowers cannot only be grown in any kind of garden but also along your garage or side of your house to add more delicacy. These pretty flowers have pink color when they start growing in the form of buds and after that they bloom into blue-purple color.
These flowers start blooming in early spring and fade away soon by mid summer i.e. in the month of June.
The Virginia bluebells bloom very well regardless of whether they are grown through seeds or divisions but seeds are proved to be much better. The divisions can be planted in month of October but it is better to wait for spring season to plant seeds and divisions. The months of March and April are best for growing bluebells. It will provide you the opportunity to see blooms in May.
Where to Grow?
Virginia bluebells has a height of 18 to 24 inch so they can be best grown on the corners of backyard. They can also be grown behind other plants because they will be visible even then. If you grow them in your flowers garden, they will add more beauty along with flowers of other colors like red, yellow and pink.
Good growth of Virginia bluebell flowers requires a good growing ambiance and a great knowledge about them. Rain is not good for their growth. As far as artificial watering is concerned, you should have to be very careful. Over-watering is harmful for these flowers as they die soon when excess water is given to them. To overcome this problem, there is a simple method to check whether the flowers need water or not. The method is to put your finger in the soil to ensure that it is not wet from last time when you watered the plants.
Other Growth Requirements
There are some other factors which also need consideration such as:
- They like sandy soil to grow.
- Don’t disturb the plant once it is established. If it is not kept in mind, the flowers can loose one flowering season. The plants can even die then.
- Don’t cut off any part of the plants after they have established.
- When they are in bloom and established on a place, don’t make a mistake to transplant them.
I hope that this article would enable you to grow Virginia bluebell flowers in a better way.
Although the kids of this modern era are fond of playing computer games but still they want an outdoor place for them for their recreation. They want a place like garden which has been specially designed for them. It would serve as a place which will provide fun to your kids and they will be urged to explore new things like different bugs, insects and budding seeds. It will be a pleasant gift you can ever give to your kids. Many people find it difficult to decide that how the kids’ garden should be designed. Here some useful instructions are given which would guide you to design a garden for your kids.
Let’s start with the soil. In a kids’ garden, soil plays an entirely different role. Kids will like to dig soil and making tunnels so a special area should be selected for this purpose. A sandbox can also be used for this.
Include Water Element
Children will love to have a fountain in their garden. A small garden can have room for a fountain or such element and if you have a big garden, you can make a pool where children can play with their toy water boats.
Provide Place for Games and Other Activities
Kids love to play games in a garden. If you have enough space then make a grassy hillside but in case you don’t have sufficient space then you can put a swing on a big tree or make a tree house which kids like the most in a garden.
Devote a Corner for Kids for Growing Plants
Let the children grow something which they like to have in their garden. For this purpose, devote a part of the garden where the kids can care for the plants they have grown themselves. It will provide them pleasure as well as confidence. But an adult supervision is necessary as well.
Make a Themed Garden
Kids will not like a simple and ordinary garden. So you have to make it a themed garden. You can design an alphabet garden by planting the plants whose names start from A to Z. By planting carnivorous plants having enormous foliage, you can name it a dinosaur garden.
Following these instructions, you can surely design an exciting garden for your kids.