Tips to Grow Tropical Plants in Greenhouse
Posted May 5, 2011on:
Tropical plants have their unique needs and requirements like warmth and humidity. If you are living in a cooler region and want to grow tropical plants then the best option is to grow them in greenhouse so that you can control their environment. Here I am going to share with you some tips that will help you a lot in growing tropical plants in greenhouse:
- Firstly, you are required to prepare your greenhouse. Preparation of greenhouse means that you should have to make sure that indoor lights, heater, fan and thermometers are working properly as they are necessary for the healthy growth of tropical plants. Misting system should also be properly installed for maintaining the right amount of humidity.
- Tropical plants should be grown in trays or pots so that they can be moved around when necessary. If you are growing them in pots, make sure that pots have drainage holes in order to avoid standing water. For good nutrition and drainage, tropical plants should be planted in a combination of draining soil and compost.
- Tropical plants should be placed at a location where they can thrive properly. Some tropical plants require shade while others require sunshine so you are required providing them with appropriate environment in greenhouse for their proper growth.
- While organizing the plants in greenhouse, make sure that you have left enough space between plants so that you can walk between them easily for watering and checking them for pest control.
- Tropical plants should be watered every other day with required amount of water because some plants will require more water while some will require less amount of water. To maintain humidity at a level of 50% to 60%, you are required to mist greenhouse daily. For this, you can either use a misting system or a garden hose.
- Temperature should be monitored frequently using thermometer. You can use heater to maintain temperature up to 80 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit. Tropical plants will also require air circulation for which you can use fan. Also use electric lights to provide plants with enough light for 6 to 8 hours a day. If you are using heater or fan, you will also have to take care of moisture of plants as fan or heater can dry the plants quickly.
Follow these simple steps and tips to grow beautiful tropical plants in greenhouse. I hope that this article will be of great use for you.