Posts Tagged ‘FACTS’
Orchids have been included in list of home plants for their gorgeous fragrance and variety in shapes, color and sizes. Like other plants, orchid plants also need proper growing conditions. Giving right amount of water at right time to your orchids is one of the basic needs of orchid flowers to grow and thrive. Remember that different species of orchids have different water needs, so you are required to research your particular plant as well as you should also be aware of general watering needs of an orchid.
Orchid plants are typically found in tropical areas. The areas where many orchids are grown receive tremendous rain. These areas can also be very humid in native habits. Ideal humidity level for orchid flowers is 80% but this humidity level could be quite uncomfortable for human to live in so you need to think other strategies to provide your orchids with healthier environment. A very convenient way to humidify your orchids is to water them frequently. You may purchase a deep saucer or and some pebbles. Pour these pebbles into the saucer then water the pebbles. Make sure that the water never touches the actual orchid pot. This way you will be able to create artificial humid climate for your orchid plant.
Very common mistake that people do is over watering their orchids. Many people wait for the soil of their orchid pot to look dry and when it becomes, they feel that their orchid plants need to be watered now. This is not true especially for orchids. The rule to water your orchid plants is to water once a week. Let the potting bark of your orchid plant dry out completely before you water again.
Orchid plants also need to be fertilized but sparingly as well. Buy best fertilizer for your orchid plants from nearby garden shops. Make sure to maintain for watering and fertilizing your orchids is a guarantee in itself that your orchid plants will grow best and you will have exotic plants for a long time.
Orchids will thrive in your home environment if you succeed to provide them with proper care, for instance right amount of water at right time, proper sunlight and best fertilizer occasionally. Orchid flowers are quite beautiful and can also be temperamental. Once you get to know exact needs of your orchids, it is not so complicated to maintain your orchid flowers healthy conditions.
Climbing roses are of different types. We all know climbing roses for their strong fragrance but there are some varieties of climbing roses which do not have smell but they bloom all summer. On the other hand, there are some climbing roses which have smell but they do not bloom all summer long. Here I have made a list of those climbing roses which you can bloom all summer to add beauty, color and height to your garden.
Golden Showers are climate dependent and grow up to 15 feet tall. They generate masses of scented flowers having golden yellow color. Golden Showers are capable of tolerating poor soil conditions and shade so are somewhat easy to grow.
Climbing blaze is also known as blaze rose. It is one of the most famous types of climbing roses which can grow 15 feet tall in a few numbers of years. Producing roses of scarlet color, they can bloom all season long.
It is a showy rose which produces clusters of big pink fragrant flowers. Its branches may grow up to 12 feet and have dark green and shiny foliage. Handel is not completely disease resistant plant but with proper garden hygiene, it can be protected.
William Baffin is also a type of climbing rose which produces pink colored double blossoms which continuously bloom throughout summer season. If proper care is taken of this rose, it can grow as much as 10 feet tall. This type of climbing rose is also resistant to common diseases of roses like dark spots and rust.
New Dawn produces soft and bright pink buds which later fade to ivory color since the rose blooms completely. This disease resistant rose grows as a climber but if it is pruned heavily, it starts growing like a shrub.
This climbing rose has clusters of tiny and fragrant flowers. It can also be grown as a shrub and can grow up to 8 feet but if it is grown as a climber, it can grow mush larger.
Rhode Island Red
It is a hardy and disease resistant climbing rose which produces flowers of red color. This beautiful climbing rose can delight you with its striking flowers from earlier June until frost.
These were some climbing roses which you can grow in your garden. Remember that climbing roses need same care as needed by other types of roses. If you want them to produce blooms continuously, they will need to be watered and fertilized regularly.
There are a number of plants that are grown best in summer as they can tolerate high temperatures and hot sunny days. Do you also want to grow some beautiful plants this summer? If yes then let me tell you that list of summer plants is too long that it becomes difficult to decide which plants will grow best in your garden. To make it easy for you to decide, I am giving a list of some plants that grow best in summer.
These perennial plants are drought tolerant and are resistant to pests and diseases. Flowers of these plants bloom in a wide range of colors including peach, orange, pink, red and burgundy. These showy and pretty flowers attract butterflies and are the best for planting around a yard or garden border.
Roses are the most loved plants having spectacular flowers. I have also grown roses in my garden so I can guarantee you that these plants require little care and maintenance and are very easy to grow. As they have flowers of vibrant and bright colors, so they are considered best to add life and color to your summer garden.
These are also great summer perennial plants. Like daylilies, they are also hardy and tough plants and are tolerant to heat and drought so they can prove to be the best plants to grow in summer. Another specialty of these plants is that they can grow in almost every type of soil including those which are low in nutrition. These purple-pinkish flowers, having orange center, are very beautiful and best for summer gardens.
This is a great summer plant and truly adds color to garden as its flowers have a large variety of colors including lavender, white, blue, pink and purple. These plants are loved by gardeners because these plants bloom throughout summer.
Sweet peas are popular among gardeners because of their vine-like ability. They can grow on walls and fences provided that they are given support with the help of a string or net. Throughout summer season, they produce fragrant flowers having a wide range of colors.
Another tough and perennial flower is Black-eyed Susan which grows well in summer and can tolerate hot and humid conditions. This plant produces flowers having golden yellow color which can have a width of up to 9 inches.
This shrub is a treat for gardeners who want to beautify their garden in late summer. This shrub produces blue blooms having silvery-green leaves. Birds and butterflies are also attracted towards this heat and drought tolerant plant.
Hosta are another popular summer plant which is known for their beautiful foliage. Its leaves have beautiful pattern as they have yellow, white and green stripes on them. They are capable of bringing color and liveliness to any summer garden.
This list of best summer plants will help you a lot in choosing best plants for your summer garden. So, this summer, grow any of the above plants to give a different and stunning look to your summer garden.
Vanilla orchid is a tropical plant and likes humid conditions to grow well. This plant produces flowers and seeds pods from which we get vanilla extract. It is the only type of orchid that grows in form of vine. Depending on different varieties, vanilla orchid plants can grow up to ten feet tall. Although vanilla plant is tropical, with some efforts it can be grown in any climate. Today’s post is all about growing vanilla orchid plants so if you are an orchid lover, you will definitely love this post:
- Start process of growing vanilla plants by setting the cuttings in potting mix and wood mulch. You are required to set the cuttings deeply enough so that roots are covered.
- Now insert a wooden stake next to the plant and then tie plant to stake. Are you thinking why it is necessary to tie plant with a wooden stake? As I mentioned earlier, vanilla plants grow in form of vine, so it needs to be attached with a stake for support.
- Next, you will require setting up hot and humid place for growing your vanilla plant. As these plants are tropical, they require damp environment to grow well. As far as temperature requirements are concerned, vanilla plants require 80 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit in day time while at night they like a temperature between 60 to 65 degrees Fahrenheit. To provide such an environment to the plants, you will require using heating lamp and glasshouse. You can find these things at any nursery near your home.
- Your vanilla plant will also need a good fertilizer to grow healthily. Fertilize vanilla plants with a fertilizer having equal quantities of nitrogen, potassium and phosphorus in it.
- Vanilla plants require to be watered twice or thrice a week but while watering ensure that soil gets wet but not over-watered. Over-watering will damage roots of your vanilla plant. To maintain a humid environment, I will suggest you misting the glasshouse every few days.
- Pollinate the flowers with hands within 12 hours of their opening. You will do this with the help of a thin bamboo skewer. All you need to do is that you will have to lift the flap of flower and then press the skewer against anther. Anther is the part of flower that contains pollen grains. After brushing pollen on stigma, pollination process will start to produce pods.
- When you see that bean pods have ripened, remove them from plant and enfold them in dark but clean cloth. After doing this, you will need to expose these beans to sunlight for 5 to 6 hours every day. After exposing beans to light, wrap them again in cloth and repeat the process of drying for approximately two weeks.
- After two weeks, place beans at a clean and cool place for final drying. Your vanilla pods will now become ready to be used.
Follow above mentioned steps to grow vanilla plants in your garden. These tips are really useful and reliable so you can follow them without any hesitation.
Are you worried about the care of your black jewel orchids???? Don’t worry. I myself grew black jewel orchids in my home and did a lot of search on tips to take care black jewel orchids. During my search, I found a number of useful tips which I also used to take proper care of my black jewel orchids. For your help and convenience, I will share these tips with you:
- According to my research and experience, black jewel orchids require low light level because too much light will spoil color of its leaves and they will start looking dull. If leaves of your black jewel orchids have become yellowish or reddish then it means that they are receiving more light than required. Moreover if you are feeling that leaves are warmer than surrounding air, it also means that plants are receiving too much light so be careful in this regard and place a thin curtain to protect plant from excessive sunlight.
- Black jewel orchids should be watered early in morning so that it may become dry before night. I made a mistake of watering my plants in afternoon and as a result wet leaves of my plants caught nighttime chills so don’t do this mistake. I will add one more thing here. Always remember that wet leaves are easily attacked by fungus so water plants twice a week in summer and once a week in winter season. Make sure that you are keeping potting medium moist instead of wet. I will recommend you to use rainwater for watering purpose instead of tap water as rainwater contains fluoride.
- Black jewel orchids require well-draining potting medium so I will suggest you to use a mixture of bark and coconut peat along with frayed isolite. These plants also grow in regular potting soil that is mixed with peat moss, gravel or sand.
- As far as fertilizing is concerned, black jewel orchids need to be fertilized during their growing season to boost up flowering. While fertilizing, make sure that you have watered the plants because fertilizers can burn plant roots.
- If orchids are grown indoors, they can be easily attacked by pests like mealy bugs, scale and spider mites. To control pest attack, use soapy water instead of those insecticides containing harsh chemicals. Solution should be directly sprayed on insects to kill them all. To kill mealy bugs and scale, use rubbing alcohol.
That was all about taking care of black jewel orchids. You can follow these tips with full faith as they have followed by me as well.
Summer flowers bring joy, freshness and fragrance to your garden. If you want to grow summer flowers, you need to have full information about their growing conditions. I will suggest you to consult some person who has personally grown variety of flowers than reading tips from somewhere. Here I am providing you names of some of the summer flowers which I grow every year in my own garden.
These flowers have mostly long and beautiful stems and flowers on these stems are star-shaped. They come in varieties of colors including red, green, yellow and blue. Most interestingly they are also found in bicolor varieties like scarlet and silver or pink and red. Main reason of their popularity is their attractive and elegant colors. These flowers not only add beauty to your garden but are also used in making bouquets and floral arrangements.
Pink Cone Flower
These flowers can grow up to 3’ tall so they can be planted at the back of other flowers especially if flower beds are circular, oval or in the shape of kidney. They like full sun for their growth and bloom from mid-summer into fall.
These flowers bloom plentifully in summer season and have attractive and refreshing colors like purple, red, yellow and white. Like gladiolus, some of their varieties are also bicolor. Their height varies from dwarfs, intermediate to tall. When I started growing these flowers, I was unaware of their pruning requirements. As a result my snapdragons were very short-lived but after that I made some research on their growth requirements and came to know that in order to prolong their blooming time, they are required to be pruned properly and on time. Doing this really prolonged their blooming time.
I love to grow these flowers in my garden because they produce small but long-term flowers and can grow up to 5 feet tall. They have a daisy-like appearance and flowers are yellow having brown or brown-black centers. These species are named triloba because of three lobes of their petals. Its stems have a unique red color with a hairy appearance and foliage is mostly very thick and shaggy.
Lily of the Valley
These flowers only grow up to 6” to 8” tall and so I always plant them in front borders. They are sweet-smelling and bell-shaped flowers having beautiful and soothing white color. Their blooming season continues from late spring to early summer but their green leaves and stems remain throughout summer season.
Pansies and Violets
These flowers can either be grown in flowerbeds or in pots. I have grown them in flowerpots so they are serving as a means of decorating front porch of my house. These are annual flowers and can grow throughout summer season if proper care is taken. As far as their colors are concerned, undoubtedly they come in a rainbow of colors like orange, blue, pink, black and purple.
These were some of the varieties of summer flowers which I recommend you to grow in your garden and give it a beautiful look all the summer season.