Archive for the ‘Sunflowers’ Category
The purpose of growing flowers is not just to beautify the garden but at the same time, flowers can be grown to make bouquets for indoors. Fresh flowers bouquet creates a refreshing and fragrance atmosphere in your home and brightens your mood. All types of flowers can be used for making floral arrangements but flowers which can be cut easily are best for making bouquets. For growing flowers for making floral arrangements, all you need is to choose right type of flowers and little efforts and planning.
You will first have to decide which type of bouquet you want in your home. Mostly flowers with bright and vibrant colors are preferred for this purpose but if you want to give a romantic and soft feeling, you will require growing tiny and delicate flowers. For floral arrangements, flowers of different colors and sizes are required to be grown. Grow flowers having long and strong stalks which can stand up in a vase. Annual flowers should be selected which are labeled as cut flowers. These flowers provide you with a prolonged blooming period as they re-bloom after initial blooms are withered. Some perennials can also be used for bouquets but they bloom only once and fade away for the rest of year. Here are some flowers which you can grow for making bouquets:
- Zinnias are delightful and lovely flowers which come in different colors including red, pink, orange and yellow. They have daisy like blooms making them perfect to be used as cut flowers for bouquets. Zinnias should be planted in a sunny location receiving 6 to 8 hours of sunlight a day. After sowing seeds, cover them lightly with soil and water. Soil should be kept moist until seeds begin to germinate within seven to ten days.
- You can also choose sunflowers. These renowned and beautiful flowers also come in different sizes ranging from miniature to towering plants. Sunflowers are generally expected to produce yellow blooms but now the color range has extended to red and burgundy. I will suggest you growing giant sunflowers at a location where they can receive sunlight for majority of day. Seeds should be planted to a depth of ½ inch and covered with soil. You will require keeping soil damp until plant emerges.
- What about Shasta daisies? They produce beautiful white flowers with yellow centers. They are commonly used for making bouquets because they can be easily paired with any other flower. To grow Shasta daisies, spread seeds in a sunny location and cover with soil keeping soil damp until seedlings germinate.
Besides these flowers, fillers having appealing foliage should also be included in a bouquet to add color and texture. You can grow rosemary, lavender, and different herbs for this purpose.
Orchids have been included in list of home plants for their gorgeous fragrance and variety in shapes, color and sizes. Like other plants, orchid plants also need proper growing conditions. Giving right amount of water at right time to your orchids is one of the basic needs of orchid flowers to grow and thrive. Remember that different species of orchids have different water needs, so you are required to research your particular plant as well as you should also be aware of general watering needs of an orchid.
Orchid plants are typically found in tropical areas. The areas where many orchids are grown receive tremendous rain. These areas can also be very humid in native habits. Ideal humidity level for orchid flowers is 80% but this humidity level could be quite uncomfortable for human to live in so you need to think other strategies to provide your orchids with healthier environment. A very convenient way to humidify your orchids is to water them frequently. You may purchase a deep saucer or and some pebbles. Pour these pebbles into the saucer then water the pebbles. Make sure that the water never touches the actual orchid pot. This way you will be able to create artificial humid climate for your orchid plant.
Very common mistake that people do is over watering their orchids. Many people wait for the soil of their orchid pot to look dry and when it becomes, they feel that their orchid plants need to be watered now. This is not true especially for orchids. The rule to water your orchid plants is to water once a week. Let the potting bark of your orchid plant dry out completely before you water again.
Orchid plants also need to be fertilized but sparingly as well. Buy best fertilizer for your orchid plants from nearby garden shops. Make sure to maintain for watering and fertilizing your orchids is a guarantee in itself that your orchid plants will grow best and you will have exotic plants for a long time.
Orchids will thrive in your home environment if you succeed to provide them with proper care, for instance right amount of water at right time, proper sunlight and best fertilizer occasionally. Orchid flowers are quite beautiful and can also be temperamental. Once you get to know exact needs of your orchids, it is not so complicated to maintain your orchid flowers healthy conditions.
Decoration with Orchids
Decorating interior spaces and gardens with orchid flowers is a good idea to fill spaces that will make you relaxed and feel good. Orchids have long list of advantages that make them perfect for home decoration if you are aware of special care these plants need. You can have this plant by following simple rules to create a huge visual space it is placed in.
Decoration of house or interior space needs much consideration. Use of plants within the whole area is a common idea but it needs much care. Green and leafy plants are always attractive that can greatly transform interior spaces, gardens and offices if perfect orchid is selected to decorate these spaces. Have you ever thought to decorate your home, garden and terrace with orchids? If not then you should think of this to get a new green environment in your home or office.
- A very big advantage of these flowers is that you can keep these flowers fresh for months contrary to other indoor plants.
- These are hardy plants and don’t require much water. They are virtually immortal if and only if you are aware of proper care and maintenance needs of orchard plants.
- They are also considered as best for indoor and garden decorations as you can get wide range of colors that you exactly want for decoration of your chosen space.
Definitely you need to know details that you have to pay attention from very first day you grow orchid plants in your home. Here is very useful information that will help you in making your decoration successful and attractive exactly you have dreamed.
Make Sure to Buy Orchids in Healthy and Good Condition
Remember that healthy and fresh orchids, without diseases and pests, you are guaranteeing more than 60 percent of your success to make your decoration project great. Make sure that there should be no spots on leaves. Bulbs and flowers will help you in determining the health status of orchids you are going to buy.
Think about the Space You Want to Decorate with Orchids
Determine if that selected space is too hot, too cold or it is exposed to lot of breezes. Any extreme condition will be bad for your orchids.
Check Availability of Light of the Place You Want to Decorate
Light is a very important factor to be considered before thinking to select a place for decoration with plants. Some orchids are very resistant to light than others. Make sure to choose right orchids for the space according to light and other conditions to ensure proper growth of orchids without any problem.
Determine Moisture Level of the Space Where you Want to Plant in Orchids
No extreme situation is good for orchids. Don’t make a mistake to place the plants in the area that has either very high or low humidity.
Follow above mentioned basic information that is very necessary to keep your orchid healthy and happy. It is hopped that information provided here will help you to create very attractive space using best orchid flowers.
Are you looking for some tips on growing giant sunflowers? If yes then you have reached the right place. I have been gathering tips and tricks on growing giant sunflowers which I want to share with you people to enable you to grow these huge sunflowers to beautify your garden as well.
Choose a Location
If you want your sunflowers to grow at their utmost height then you should choose a well drained location so that they can receive maximum amount of sunlight. Sunflowers’ heads are always faced towards east so such a location should be selected where sunflowers are in full view of sunrise.
Choosing Sunflower Seeds
Since you want to grow huge sunflowers, you will require picking “tall” types seeds. The most successful varieties in this regard are “Kong” and “Mammoth” because these varieties can grow up to a height of 10-20 feet producing huge and attractive sunflowers.
To grow giant sunflowers, you will require digging a hole having a circumference of 2 feet and a depth of 18 inches. The holes should be dug in such a way that center of one hole is two feet away from the center of previous hole. Remember that more space between sunflower plants result in larger flowers and thinner stalks while less space may result in smaller flowers and thicker stalks so if you want huge sunflowers to grow ideally, you will require maintaining a space of 24 inches between two plants.
Preparing the Soil
Ordinary sunflowers can grow in poor soil conditions but giant sunflowers cannot so prepare the soil carefully. After loosening the soil you have removed from holes, remove rocks, roots and stones from soil. Prepare a mixture of half a shovel of potting mix and half shovel of humus and then back fill your holes with this mixture.
The best time for planting giant sunflower seeds is from mid May to early June. While planting seeds, make sure that you are planting three seeds in each hole. These seeds should be positioned about an inch apart form each other. Push each seed in soil to a depth of one inch. You can use your finger for this purpose. After planting the seeds, sprinkle a little soil over buried seeds and then pat the soil using your hands.
Watering Giant Sunflowers
Giant sunflowers consume a lot of water but remember that over watering these plants may soften the roots making them incapable of supporting the huge plant. Don’t water sunflowers in case of puddling but after that if you feel that soil has dried out, water your giant sunflowers.
A liquid fertilizer should be used after every 1-2 weeks. Remember not to fertilize the flower or the stalk directly because it may rotten and weaken your plant. Instead of it, pour liquid fertilizer around the base of plant.
These were some simple and easy steps to grow huge sunflowers. Follow these and have giant and beautiful sunflowers in your house.
Sunflowers are most loved flowers because in summer, they add color to your garden and in winter, potted sunflowers indoors brighten a sad and dull winter day. Sunflowers are among those flowers which require a lot of light so the people who want to grow sunflowers indoors must have a proper arrangement of light. The best thing you can do in this regard is to use a fluorescent light to grow your sunflowers indoors. Fluorescent lights are quite beneficial for growing sunflowers indoors whether you are growing them in winter or growing them to plant outdoors later. Here I am going to provide you some tips that will make it easy for you to grow sunflowers indoors with fluorescent light:
- Firstly, you will prepare your pots in which you are going to plant your sunflowers so fill the pots with a fertile potting mix containing moss, peat and compost. If you have a plan to transplant the seedlings later then you can use small pots. But make sure that these pots should have a diameter of at least one foot so that they can handle large roots of sunflowers.
- As you are going to grow flowers indoors so you are needed to choose smallest types of sunflowers like Teddy Bear and Big Smile. These two varieties are best choices for potted sunflowers as they can’t grow more than two feet tall.
- Now it comes to plant the seeds. While doing this, make sure that you are planting two or three seeds in a pot. After sowing the seeds almost two inches deep, water them well.
- As natural light is best for the growth of sunflowers, place the pots in a sunny window. Fluorescent light is used to fulfill deficiency of exposure to natural light in winter.
- Try to use the brightest fluorescent light for your indoors sunflowers and put the lights in a fixture which is capable of holding two tubes. Arrange these lights in such a way that they are few inches away from the soil surface. The purpose of using lights is to make sure that sunflower seeds receive 12 hours of light in a day either all light from fluorescent tubes or by the combination of natural and artificial light.
- When you see that your seedlings have begun to grow, raise the lights to provide them enough room for their growth. Ensure that lights are always a few inches from the tallest plant.
- Fluorescent lights should be kept on indoors sunflowers for their whole life to make sure that your sunflowers are getting lights for 12 hours a day until the plants begin to produce flowers.
That was all about growing sunflowers indoors using artificial lights. These steps are quite simple so you can easily follow them to make your home looming bright even in gloomy winter season.
Perennial sunflowers, which are mostly grown in vegetable gardens, are more refined and popular than annual sunflowers because they have finer leaves and smaller flowers. There are some kinds of perennial sunflowers which can grow up very tall. I have also grown some of perennial sunflowers in my garden and I suggest you to do the same because these flowers are not only beautiful but also attract butterflies and birds. Here I have made a list of perennial sunflowers from which you can choose one to grow in your garden.
Thin-leaved sunflowers can grow up to five feet tall provided that they are planted in full sun or partial shade. They are quite popular among growers because they are adaptable to different soil and light conditions. Having bright yellow color with a greenish central cone, these sunflowers are long lasting when used as cut flowers. This plant produces more flowers when it is properly deadheaded. Best growing season for these sunflowers is late summer or early fall as they are at their peak at these times of year.
This type of perennial sunflowers is the tallest among perennial sunflowers as it can grow up to six to seven feet tall. Its height can vary depending upon soil conditions and humidity. These plants produce bright yellow flowers from mid summer to late summer.
Having yellow flowers with dark centers, these flowers are native to East Coast. Their best attribute is that they can tolerate damp soil conditions which other plants can’t. Its blooming season starts from late August and continues until October. These plants can also grow up to seven feet tall.
This plant produces golden-yellow flowers all summer and can grow up to a height of four to five feet. These sunflower plants attract butterflies and hummingbirds and due to this quality, I have also grown these in my home garden. Flore-pleno is resistant to pests and diseases and requires partial shade to grow well.
Like swamp sunflowers, these are also native to East Coast. These sunflowers naturally grow in wooded areas having clear-yellow flowers and stiff leaves which are like sandpaper. These sunflowers are a good choice for those gardens which have partially shaded locations.
Sunflowers are beautiful creature of God which adds colors and beauty to a garden so consider growing any of the above perennial sunflowers to beautify your garden.