Do you want some perennials in your garden which bloom all year? You will definitely wish that. Year round blooming perennials produce year round flowers and beautify your garden. These specialized plants do not need to be replanted every year. Here is a list of some such perennials.
This perennial ground cover has glossy and dark green leaves. This is a hardy perennial that can grow well in either sun or shade. Wedelia produces yellow flowers which are quite similar to daisies in appearance. While growing wedelia, you should be very careful because being a ground cover; it spreads very quickly and is also considered invasive.
This perennial plant can grow up to 1 foot tall. Having a round shape, African daisy grows in full sun and requires well-drained soil. It produces showy flowers in pink, orange, red, white and yellow color all year.
African iris is a perennial which can grow up to four feet tall. You should grow an African iris in full sun or shade in a well-drained soil. This plant has an upright shape and produces white flowers all year round.
Lantana can grow 3 to 6 feet wide and attracts butterflies. This round shaped plant requires full sun and well-drained soil to grow. Lantana produces clusters of small flowers throughout the year. These aromatic flowers come in different colors including yellow, white, pink, purple, red and orange.
Peace lily can grow up to 6 feet tall and has an encircling shape. Having an average growth rate, this perennial likes part sun or shade to grow well. Growing in well-drained soil, Peace lily produces white flowers.
This perennial produces flowers in shades of white and blue. In cooler climates, it can be grown in full sun but it will require partial shade in areas where summers are too hot.
Red Hot Poker
Red hot poker is a tall plant and can grow up to 5 feet high. It produces multi-colored spikes of flowers in colors ranging from ivory to bright red. Red hot poker requires full sun to grow. Moreover it also requires ample space as a full-grown plant may be three feet wide.
This is my list of those perennials which can be grown to have flowers all year round. You can grow any or all of these to have beautiful blooms throughout year.
Moss has a unique and unusual nature as it does not develop actual root system. Instead of it, this plant produces spores which develop a structure like roots. This root-like structure grows into ground and attaches to the surface. This feature of moss make it the most suitable and attractive plant for creating indoor garden. Do you also want to create an indoor moss garden? If yes then you need some basic supplies and a little bit of efforts to grow indoor moss garden. Here in this post, I will provide you with a set of instructions which will help you a lot in creating indoor moss garden:
- First thing which you will need to grow moss is a suitable container. Moss will easily grow in vessels like small plastic aquariums, glass vases and bottles. Moss also likes humidity to thrive so it looks for an environment where it can get warmth and moisture.
- Next step is to find moss which you will grow indoors. You may have some moss grown in your backyard. For your assistance, I will like to inform you that you can find moss in shaded areas where the soil is damp. You may also find some moss grown at your friend’s house so you can also take some cuttings from there.
- Harvesting outdoor moss should be done carefully using a shovel. While taking a patch of moss make sure that you are also taking an inch of growing medium along with the patch. It is necessary for the safety of moss’s root system. To transport moss to your house, place the cut patch in a plastic plate.
- Take your container and fill one quarter of it with gravel or stones. Then fill up container half full of soil. As moss like acidic conditions to grow, you can also add a skinny layer of peat moss on the top if soil layer. After making a layer of soil, don’t compress it because moss likes loose and non-compacted soil. Place patch of moss on the layer of soil and then press it down making sure it sits properly on top of layer of soil.
- Now place your moss garden in such area of your house which is semi shaded and away from direct sunlight. Mist your moss garden regularly using a spraying bottle filled with water at room temperature. Moss should be kept damp but not saturated with water because over watering can cause moss to rot. Check your moss garden daily to know whether it needs to be misted or not.
These were some basic instructions about growing indoor moss garden. Follow these and have beautiful moss garden indoors.
The purpose of growing flowers is not just to beautify the garden but at the same time, flowers can be grown to make bouquets for indoors. Fresh flowers bouquet creates a refreshing and fragrance atmosphere in your home and brightens your mood. All types of flowers can be used for making floral arrangements but flowers which can be cut easily are best for making bouquets. For growing flowers for making floral arrangements, all you need is to choose right type of flowers and little efforts and planning.
You will first have to decide which type of bouquet you want in your home. Mostly flowers with bright and vibrant colors are preferred for this purpose but if you want to give a romantic and soft feeling, you will require growing tiny and delicate flowers. For floral arrangements, flowers of different colors and sizes are required to be grown. Grow flowers having long and strong stalks which can stand up in a vase. Annual flowers should be selected which are labeled as cut flowers. These flowers provide you with a prolonged blooming period as they re-bloom after initial blooms are withered. Some perennials can also be used for bouquets but they bloom only once and fade away for the rest of year. Here are some flowers which you can grow for making bouquets:
- Zinnias are delightful and lovely flowers which come in different colors including red, pink, orange and yellow. They have daisy like blooms making them perfect to be used as cut flowers for bouquets. Zinnias should be planted in a sunny location receiving 6 to 8 hours of sunlight a day. After sowing seeds, cover them lightly with soil and water. Soil should be kept moist until seeds begin to germinate within seven to ten days.
- You can also choose sunflowers. These renowned and beautiful flowers also come in different sizes ranging from miniature to towering plants. Sunflowers are generally expected to produce yellow blooms but now the color range has extended to red and burgundy. I will suggest you growing giant sunflowers at a location where they can receive sunlight for majority of day. Seeds should be planted to a depth of ½ inch and covered with soil. You will require keeping soil damp until plant emerges.
- What about Shasta daisies? They produce beautiful white flowers with yellow centers. They are commonly used for making bouquets because they can be easily paired with any other flower. To grow Shasta daisies, spread seeds in a sunny location and cover with soil keeping soil damp until seedlings germinate.
Besides these flowers, fillers having appealing foliage should also be included in a bouquet to add color and texture. You can grow rosemary, lavender, and different herbs for this purpose.
Orchids are native to tropical regions but with little efforts and care, they can be grown anywhere in the world. Orchids are among those flowers which come in a variety of colors. Among these, there are purple orchids. Today’s discussion is all about taking care of purple orchids. If you have grown purple orchids in your garden then read this post carefully.
Temperature Requirements: Place purple orchids in a temperature safe location. During day time, purple orchids require a temperature between 70 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit while during night time, ideal temperature is between 60 and 62 degrees Fahrenheit. Here I will also like to add that these plants do not produce flowers if they are not provided with fluctuating temperatures.
Air Circulation: You are also required to keep the air circulating around purple orchid plants. The simple way to do this is to place the plant near an open window during summer time while in winter, you can use oscillating fan to provide sufficient air circulation. Fresh air is necessary for plant as it provides carbon dioxide as well as it helps prevent infection in plants.
Sunlight: These plants can burn when they are exposed to direct sunlight so place your plants behind curtains or window blinds so that they can receive indirect sunlight. You can use a simple method to find out whether plants are receiving adequate sunlight or not. Note the color of leaves. Yellowish-green leaves of purple orchid plants show that plants are receiving excessive light and if the leaves are dark green, it means that plants are not receiving sufficient amount of light. Leaves of purple orchid plants become bright green when they receive proper sunlight.
Watering: During wintry weather, purple orchids need to be watered once a week but in summer, these requirements change and plants need water twice a week. I will also like to tell that you should water plants in morning and use rainwater to water purple orchid plants instead of tap water because chlorine in tap water may prove harmful for plants.
Fertilizing: Purple orchid plants need such a fertilizer that contains equal and balanced mix of nitrogen, potassium and phosphorus.
While growing purple orchids, keep the above mentioned requirements in mind so that you can grow healthy and beautiful plants.
Plants are living things and having them in interiors of house is quite healthy and beneficial. They provide beauty and elegance as well as they provide oxygen and absorb carbon dioxide. Growing and displaying plants in interiors of your house is a healthy activity. You can have a plenty of ideas to decorate your home interiors and it all depends on your imagination and aesthetic sense.
In this article, you will find some useful tips and instructions to use house plants for interior decoration.
- First of all, you should use a plant design company that will help you purchasing suitable plants.
- To hide a problem area, use large tree-like plants. They can also help you to fill a vacant corner. But tree like plants can be used only if there is a high ceiling and a place having plenty of light. You can use palm tree for this purpose. Palm and Coconut trees can also be used near your swimming pool. By doing this, your window will provide you with a feeling of living on Tropical Island and it will enhance the sophistication of your home.
- Here you might be faced with the problem because taking care of such big plants is not an easy task. Watering, fertilizing and maintaining these plants can give you some trouble as you will have to protect flooring and carpets from damage while watering. Every problem has a solution, so to keep your carpet protected from damages; you can use mats and wooden blocks or any other robust object.
- To decorate your home further by using plants, you can place hanging plants around your home. The recommended locations for placing hanging plants are windows and corners of rooms. But take care that these plants should not be placed in the way of foot traffic.
- Some other plants can be placed on pedestals made of metal, iron or glass. Pedestals may also be made of wood or marble. The best places to put the pedestals are unfilled corner, windows or a blank wall. Pedestals are actually plant stands that may also include mantle and a book shelf. It is recommended to use plants having bright colored flowers in pedestals.
- Another very important thing is that you should take care that the plant stand is strong and stable so that it can hold up the plant.
You will find the above mentioned tips quite useful in decorating interiors of your home with house plants.
A greenhouse is actually a closed ecosystem having glass or plastic surfaces. Fresh plants and flowers which are not in season are grown in greenhouse because greenhouses regulate heat balance, humidity as well as light requirements. For this, you will have to keep in mind certain considerations while building a greenhouse. For example, you must make sure that your greenhouse faces southern part of direction. Some other tips on growing flowers in greenhouse are as follows:
- First of all, you will have to maintain proper temperature in your greenhouse. Day time temperature should not exceed 90 degrees. To maintain this temperature, you will require having doors and windows in greenhouse so that they can be opened to provide flowers with proper ventilation especially on sunny and hot days.
- As far as night time temperature is concerned, it should be not less than 50 degrees. You can use a number of ways to maintain night time temperature of greenhouse but it will all depend on area in which your greenhouse is located. One easy method is to fill some 5 gallons bucket with water and place them in greenhouse so that they can collect heat during day. In this way, heat will be retained and greenhouse will remain warm during night. Always place buckets of waters with their lids on them. It is necessary to prevent insects from reproducing in water.
- For proper air circulation and ventilation, use a circulating fan. Circulating fans can be used even when doors and windows are not open. Air circulation is important to provide as it helps growing plants properly.
- Make a schedule to water plants and follow this schedule on regular basis. If you have a smaller greenhouse, it would be enough to water plants once a day but in larger area, you will need to water plants more frequently. Also remember that water requirements of plants increase when temperature rises.
- Tropical plants need humid conditions for their growth. If you have grown tropical flowers in greenhouse, make sure you have provided them with humidity trays. It is very easy to prepare a humidity tray as any plastic tray filled with water and having pebbles in it serves as a humidity tray.
- Last but not the least; you will need to be careful about fertilizing needs of your plants. You can fertilize your plants with either ½ or ¼ strength water soluble fertilizer. Make sure to fertilize plants on weekly basis.
After following these tips, you will be able to grow varieties of flowers in your greenhouse. Some of the popular flowers which can be grown in greenhouse include poppies, zinnias, marigolds and snapdragons.