Archive for the ‘Roses’ Category
Are you looking for a list of flowers that can be grown in greenhouse? If yes then you don’t need to worry as I am going to provide you name of some flowers which can be easily grown in greenhouses. Just look at this list and choose any of these flowers to grow in greenhouse.
African violets have different types and come in a variety of colors including pink, lavender, red, blue and purple. African violets do not grow by seed propagation so they are reproduced through leaf cuttings. They can thrive in a soil low in nutrition but require a lot of humidity. In greenhouse, you can easily provide them with required amount of humidity as conditions in greenhouse are controlled. But you must keep in mind one thing. To provide these flowers with humidity, do not make leaves wet as it may cause leaf spotting.
This is a tropical flowering plant which is very sensitive to cold conditions. These plants produce flowers in elegant colors like pink, red, yellow and white. Its leaves are green and glossy and have tangled edges. Chinese hibiscus requires well-drained and rich soil as well as a lot of water to grow well.
Roses need a lot of protection and care in winter so gardeners living in cold regions can grow roses in greenhouse. Roses in greenhouse can either be grown in pots or ground but in both cases they require quick draining soil. Although roses require full and bright sunlight for at least 8 hours a day, they can be grown in greenhouse under artificial lights. For growing roses in greenhouse, you will require maintaining temperature between 70 and 80 F. Roses should be watered once a week and fertilized monthly with rose fertilizers or fish emulsion.
Lilies require protection from cold and wet conditions so they can be grown in greenhouse by providing them with warmth to keep them blooming for longer period of time. Lilies can be grown in quick draining soil in either ground or pots. Make sure that soil also contain compost and is completely packed around lily bulbs to reduce air pockets. Lilies required to be watered with 1 to 2 inches of water a week. To supplement natural daylight, use lights in greenhouse to provide lilies with 6 to 8 hours of light.
Chenille plant grows up to 5 to 6 feet tall and produces 6 to 8 inches long leaves. Flowers of this plant create almost 18 inches long drooping clusters in bright red color but flowers appear only on female plants. Chenille plants can tolerate any type of soil provided that soil provides the plant with good drainage.
Orchids are both cold and warm sensitive. They mostly like to be grown indoors so are best to grow in greenhouses because in greenhouses, their specific lighting and temperature conditions can be fulfilled easily. Orchids should be grown in those greenhouses which have opaque windows so that they can filter light to protect orchids from burning. Temperature requirements are between 70 and 80 degrees F during day and between 50 and 60 degrees F at night. To maintain this temperature, you can use fans and heaters. Orchids should be watered only when they become dry but you can mist greenhouse after every three days to maintain humidity level.
Climbing roses are of different types. We all know climbing roses for their strong fragrance but there are some varieties of climbing roses which do not have smell but they bloom all summer. On the other hand, there are some climbing roses which have smell but they do not bloom all summer long. Here I have made a list of those climbing roses which you can bloom all summer to add beauty, color and height to your garden.
Golden Showers are climate dependent and grow up to 15 feet tall. They generate masses of scented flowers having golden yellow color. Golden Showers are capable of tolerating poor soil conditions and shade so are somewhat easy to grow.
Climbing blaze is also known as blaze rose. It is one of the most famous types of climbing roses which can grow 15 feet tall in a few numbers of years. Producing roses of scarlet color, they can bloom all season long.
It is a showy rose which produces clusters of big pink fragrant flowers. Its branches may grow up to 12 feet and have dark green and shiny foliage. Handel is not completely disease resistant plant but with proper garden hygiene, it can be protected.
William Baffin is also a type of climbing rose which produces pink colored double blossoms which continuously bloom throughout summer season. If proper care is taken of this rose, it can grow as much as 10 feet tall. This type of climbing rose is also resistant to common diseases of roses like dark spots and rust.
New Dawn produces soft and bright pink buds which later fade to ivory color since the rose blooms completely. This disease resistant rose grows as a climber but if it is pruned heavily, it starts growing like a shrub.
This climbing rose has clusters of tiny and fragrant flowers. It can also be grown as a shrub and can grow up to 8 feet but if it is grown as a climber, it can grow mush larger.
Rhode Island Red
It is a hardy and disease resistant climbing rose which produces flowers of red color. This beautiful climbing rose can delight you with its striking flowers from earlier June until frost.
These were some climbing roses which you can grow in your garden. Remember that climbing roses need same care as needed by other types of roses. If you want them to produce blooms continuously, they will need to be watered and fertilized regularly.
Most of us have a common thinking that spring season is the busiest time of year in terms of taking care of different flowers especially roses. But it is fact that when summer season is at its full swing, it becomes even more difficult to take care of roses as there are some additional tasks that needs to be performed. Remember that roses mostly grow well in warm weather but they still need your help to sustain their survival. As summer season is now at its peak, I therefore thought about gathering some tips for rose care in summer. Here is my collection of tips on taking care of roses in summer:
- Roses will need to be watered during hot and dry weather but remember that amount of water will always depend on soil conditions and weather. It is mostly recommended to soak the soil to a depth of 10 to 12 inches every two weeks. Watering method is also important to be considered. Water should be applied directly to soil because over-head watering makes the foliage wet and leads to diseases problem. If you cannot avoid over-head watering, then the best time to water roses is morning so that foliage may get time to dry.
- Another thing which you can do to conserve soil moisture is to add mulch around rose plant. Mulching also helps controlling weeds. So spread a fresh 3 inch layer of mulch on soil 6 inches away from rose’s main cane. Best mulches include shredded bark, cocoa bean hulls, wood chips and pine needles.
- Vigorous growth and abundance of blooms depend on proper fertilizing. Roses need to be fertilized three times a year. For the first time, fertilizer should be applied in early spring after pruning. Fertilizer should be then applied during first blooming period and for the third time in year, roses should be fertilized in mid or late July. Fertilizers should not be applied after July 31 because late fertilization may produce tender growth. Another thing which I think important to add is that roses should not be fertilized on days when temperature exceeds over 85 degrees F. Don’t forget to water roses before and after applying fertilizers.
- Spent flowers should be deadheaded to help plants conserving energy for new blooms. Roses stems should be cut back to ¼ inch above a leaf with five leaflets. Pruning also needs care because removal of foliage in large amount may weaken young plants as this reduces food producing ability. Moreover, sharp and sterile tools should be used for pruning.
- Roses should also be checked for summer diseases and pests like thrips, Japanese beetles and spider mites. Japanese beetles can be hand-picked and crushed while thrips and spider mites can be controlled with insecticides. You can plan a spray program through summer months to control diseases and pests. It is suggested to use a combination of insecticides and fungicides which are available at nurseries.
These were some simple suggestions and tips which you can follow to take care of roses in summer. I hope you will find these quite helpful in getting a striking and beautiful result.
Rose bushes do not ask for much care but some conditions have to be fulfilled if you want them to bloom. Are your rose bushes are not producing blooms? If yes then check whether you have fulfilled following conditions or not:
- See where you have planted your rose bush. Rose bushes should be planted at a location where they can receive sunlight for six or more hours. Let me tell you that rose bushes are very responsive to heat and bloom successfully when provided with enough sunshine. When you will give them right amount of light, they will thank you by producing loads of flowers.
- Rose bushes should not be planted very close to each other because they need good air circulation for blooming. Ideal space between two bushes or bush and other plants should be at least 6 inches or 1 foot.
- If your rose bush is not blooming, check watering conditions. If you are over-watering your rose bush, its roots will be staying in water and bushes will not bloom well. The soil around rose bush should never be saturated with water and an ideal way to make it possible is to use an irrigation drip system. Using this system will help you measuring amount of water which you are providing to your rose bush. Another way to water rose bushes properly is to use water hose in moderation. While watering, make sure that you are not watering leaves of your rose bush.
- Fertilization is also an important condition which you need to fulfill with proper care. Rose bushes should be fertilized on regular basis if you want them to bloom. Before fertilizing rose bushes, always read instructions given on fertilizer container as they provide information on how frequently roses should be fertilized as well as they guide you about right quantity of fertilizer.
- To stimulate growth of more buds and flowers, you are required cutting off spent roses by their stems. Here I will again recommend you following right set of instructions to prune rose bushes.
These were some of the most important requirements which need to be fulfilled to make rose bushes bloom. I assure you that following these conditions will make your rose bushes to bloom properly and they will make your garden envy for others.
There are a number of plants that are grown best in summer as they can tolerate high temperatures and hot sunny days. Do you also want to grow some beautiful plants this summer? If yes then let me tell you that list of summer plants is too long that it becomes difficult to decide which plants will grow best in your garden. To make it easy for you to decide, I am giving a list of some plants that grow best in summer.
These perennial plants are drought tolerant and are resistant to pests and diseases. Flowers of these plants bloom in a wide range of colors including peach, orange, pink, red and burgundy. These showy and pretty flowers attract butterflies and are the best for planting around a yard or garden border.
Roses are the most loved plants having spectacular flowers. I have also grown roses in my garden so I can guarantee you that these plants require little care and maintenance and are very easy to grow. As they have flowers of vibrant and bright colors, so they are considered best to add life and color to your summer garden.
These are also great summer perennial plants. Like daylilies, they are also hardy and tough plants and are tolerant to heat and drought so they can prove to be the best plants to grow in summer. Another specialty of these plants is that they can grow in almost every type of soil including those which are low in nutrition. These purple-pinkish flowers, having orange center, are very beautiful and best for summer gardens.
This is a great summer plant and truly adds color to garden as its flowers have a large variety of colors including lavender, white, blue, pink and purple. These plants are loved by gardeners because these plants bloom throughout summer.
Sweet peas are popular among gardeners because of their vine-like ability. They can grow on walls and fences provided that they are given support with the help of a string or net. Throughout summer season, they produce fragrant flowers having a wide range of colors.
Another tough and perennial flower is Black-eyed Susan which grows well in summer and can tolerate hot and humid conditions. This plant produces flowers having golden yellow color which can have a width of up to 9 inches.
This shrub is a treat for gardeners who want to beautify their garden in late summer. This shrub produces blue blooms having silvery-green leaves. Birds and butterflies are also attracted towards this heat and drought tolerant plant.
Hosta are another popular summer plant which is known for their beautiful foliage. Its leaves have beautiful pattern as they have yellow, white and green stripes on them. They are capable of bringing color and liveliness to any summer garden.
This list of best summer plants will help you a lot in choosing best plants for your summer garden. So, this summer, grow any of the above plants to give a different and stunning look to your summer garden.
To tell you the truth, black roses don’t actually exist. They only look black because of their dark and deep red color. There are different types of black roses but the most popular among them is Black Jade and most of the gardeners like to grow this rose plant. If you are also interested in growing Black Jade in your garden then you must know about all the tips and requirements to grow them properly. Some of the most important tips are given below:
- Black Jade should be planted in sandy soil so if you feel that your soil is very heavy due to clay then you will require adding some sand or organic mulch in soil. As far as location requirements are concerned, these roses need partial shade to grow healthily. After planting, pack the soil slackly around plant and then water.
- The soil should be kept hardly moist to grow black rose properly and take care that water should not stand as this may cause mold growth. I made this mistake while growing my black roses and lost them consequently so I will strongly recommend you to take care of this factor. During hot weather, black roses should be watered at least thrice a week.
- Fertilizing is also important so add fertilizer soil making sure that the fertilizer has been especially made for roses. For fertilizing properly, follow instructions given on fertilizer bag. Mostly black roses need to be fertilized at start of their growing season and once in middle of their growing season.
- Rose bush should be pruned in winter. Months of January and February are best for this purpose. Prune the rose bush all the way down in such a way that only four to six inches is left on stem.
- You will constantly need to watch plants for brown spots on leaves or petals because these plants are delicate and defenseless to fungus. So if you find spots on leaves, immediately treat your plant with a fungicide.
Black roses need special care while growing them so follow above mentioned tips and have a healthy black rose plant in your garden.
Red and pink roses are mostly liked by the people but white roses have their own beauty that gives a sophisticated look to your garden. White roses look really great when blended with roses of other colors. You can select different white garden roses for your garden as they come in a number of varieties. Here I will explain its some varieties for your information and knowledge.
This white garden rose is easiest to grow as it is highly resistant to pest attacks and diseases. It grows beautifully on slopes and that’s why it proves to be an excellent ground cover. Its specialty is its four inch wide blooms that appear throughout the year. These qualities of white meidiland make it beloved flower of gardeners.
Winchester Cathedral has been named after a cathedral in UK. It is majestic flower that produces blooms early in its season and constantly produce blooms. These flowers have a pale color in their center and grow on medium sized shrub. This beautiful shrub is four feet wide and is four feet in height.
This medium sized shrub has twig-like branches and shaggy foliage having a height of four feet and width of 3.5 feet. With a fair myrrh fragrance, it gives double full blooms having white and cream colors. These are beautiful looking flowers giving a royal touch to your garden.
Rosa Kent Towne & Country
Being smaller in size, this rose plant grows to a height of two feet only producing white semi-double blooms. They look even more beautiful when they are grown on their own roots and are liked by most of the gardeners because they can easily tolerate harsh winter.
This is my favorite flower too as it has sweet fragrance. It produces white flowers with light pink color on edges. It is also a disease-resistant flower that grows to a height of four feet. Its blooming season starts from the end of summer and continues to fall.
Being a highly fragrant flower, it is the most care-free rose in rose family as it is a strong plant and needs little pruning. Moreover it is also resistant to common diseases. As far as its blooming period is concerned, I would like to inform you that it produces plenty of blooms in June and continues and blooms off and on until fall.
These were some beautiful varieties of white garden roses. You can grow any of these in your garden to add color, fragrance and classiness to your garden.