Archive for the ‘GARDENS’ Category
Moss has a unique and unusual nature as it does not develop actual root system. Instead of it, this plant produces spores which develop a structure like roots. This root-like structure grows into ground and attaches to the surface. This feature of moss make it the most suitable and attractive plant for creating indoor garden. Do you also want to create an indoor moss garden? If yes then you need some basic supplies and a little bit of efforts to grow indoor moss garden. Here in this post, I will provide you with a set of instructions which will help you a lot in creating indoor moss garden:
- First thing which you will need to grow moss is a suitable container. Moss will easily grow in vessels like small plastic aquariums, glass vases and bottles. Moss also likes humidity to thrive so it looks for an environment where it can get warmth and moisture.
- Next step is to find moss which you will grow indoors. You may have some moss grown in your backyard. For your assistance, I will like to inform you that you can find moss in shaded areas where the soil is damp. You may also find some moss grown at your friend’s house so you can also take some cuttings from there.
- Harvesting outdoor moss should be done carefully using a shovel. While taking a patch of moss make sure that you are also taking an inch of growing medium along with the patch. It is necessary for the safety of moss’s root system. To transport moss to your house, place the cut patch in a plastic plate.
- Take your container and fill one quarter of it with gravel or stones. Then fill up container half full of soil. As moss like acidic conditions to grow, you can also add a skinny layer of peat moss on the top if soil layer. After making a layer of soil, don’t compress it because moss likes loose and non-compacted soil. Place patch of moss on the layer of soil and then press it down making sure it sits properly on top of layer of soil.
- Now place your moss garden in such area of your house which is semi shaded and away from direct sunlight. Mist your moss garden regularly using a spraying bottle filled with water at room temperature. Moss should be kept damp but not saturated with water because over watering can cause moss to rot. Check your moss garden daily to know whether it needs to be misted or not.
These were some basic instructions about growing indoor moss garden. Follow these and have beautiful moss garden indoors.
Orchids have been included in list of home plants for their gorgeous fragrance and variety in shapes, color and sizes. Like other plants, orchid plants also need proper growing conditions. Giving right amount of water at right time to your orchids is one of the basic needs of orchid flowers to grow and thrive. Remember that different species of orchids have different water needs, so you are required to research your particular plant as well as you should also be aware of general watering needs of an orchid.
Orchid plants are typically found in tropical areas. The areas where many orchids are grown receive tremendous rain. These areas can also be very humid in native habits. Ideal humidity level for orchid flowers is 80% but this humidity level could be quite uncomfortable for human to live in so you need to think other strategies to provide your orchids with healthier environment. A very convenient way to humidify your orchids is to water them frequently. You may purchase a deep saucer or and some pebbles. Pour these pebbles into the saucer then water the pebbles. Make sure that the water never touches the actual orchid pot. This way you will be able to create artificial humid climate for your orchid plant.
Very common mistake that people do is over watering their orchids. Many people wait for the soil of their orchid pot to look dry and when it becomes, they feel that their orchid plants need to be watered now. This is not true especially for orchids. The rule to water your orchid plants is to water once a week. Let the potting bark of your orchid plant dry out completely before you water again.
Orchid plants also need to be fertilized but sparingly as well. Buy best fertilizer for your orchid plants from nearby garden shops. Make sure to maintain for watering and fertilizing your orchids is a guarantee in itself that your orchid plants will grow best and you will have exotic plants for a long time.
Orchids will thrive in your home environment if you succeed to provide them with proper care, for instance right amount of water at right time, proper sunlight and best fertilizer occasionally. Orchid flowers are quite beautiful and can also be temperamental. Once you get to know exact needs of your orchids, it is not so complicated to maintain your orchid flowers healthy conditions.
Decoration with Orchids
Decorating interior spaces and gardens with orchid flowers is a good idea to fill spaces that will make you relaxed and feel good. Orchids have long list of advantages that make them perfect for home decoration if you are aware of special care these plants need. You can have this plant by following simple rules to create a huge visual space it is placed in.
Decoration of house or interior space needs much consideration. Use of plants within the whole area is a common idea but it needs much care. Green and leafy plants are always attractive that can greatly transform interior spaces, gardens and offices if perfect orchid is selected to decorate these spaces. Have you ever thought to decorate your home, garden and terrace with orchids? If not then you should think of this to get a new green environment in your home or office.
- A very big advantage of these flowers is that you can keep these flowers fresh for months contrary to other indoor plants.
- These are hardy plants and don’t require much water. They are virtually immortal if and only if you are aware of proper care and maintenance needs of orchard plants.
- They are also considered as best for indoor and garden decorations as you can get wide range of colors that you exactly want for decoration of your chosen space.
Definitely you need to know details that you have to pay attention from very first day you grow orchid plants in your home. Here is very useful information that will help you in making your decoration successful and attractive exactly you have dreamed.
Make Sure to Buy Orchids in Healthy and Good Condition
Remember that healthy and fresh orchids, without diseases and pests, you are guaranteeing more than 60 percent of your success to make your decoration project great. Make sure that there should be no spots on leaves. Bulbs and flowers will help you in determining the health status of orchids you are going to buy.
Think about the Space You Want to Decorate with Orchids
Determine if that selected space is too hot, too cold or it is exposed to lot of breezes. Any extreme condition will be bad for your orchids.
Check Availability of Light of the Place You Want to Decorate
Light is a very important factor to be considered before thinking to select a place for decoration with plants. Some orchids are very resistant to light than others. Make sure to choose right orchids for the space according to light and other conditions to ensure proper growth of orchids without any problem.
Determine Moisture Level of the Space Where you Want to Plant in Orchids
No extreme situation is good for orchids. Don’t make a mistake to place the plants in the area that has either very high or low humidity.
Follow above mentioned basic information that is very necessary to keep your orchid healthy and happy. It is hopped that information provided here will help you to create very attractive space using best orchid flowers.
Lighting in a garden is very important as it gives your garden a completely different look in night. Besides decoration, garden lights are used to show different aspects of a garden in night. If you don’t know which type of light is better for your garden then read this post as I have mentioned some common types of lights which can be used in garden.
Fairy lights are actually decorative lights which are small and strung on a cord. Since these lights are decorative, they are mostly used on Christmas to decorate gardens. But these lights can also be used year-round for as they give a pleasant and romantic feel to garden. Fairy lights come in different varieties. They are either powered by electricity or solar energy. Some fairy lights are battery powered also. Fairy lights are easy to install in garden because these strands of lights have clips which can be attached to branches of trees. Fairy lights are available in different colors to highlight different aspects of a garden but white fairy lights are commonly used as they serve general purpose.
If you want to highlight one specific area of your garden then a spotlight is the best for this purpose. Using spotlight is not a garden lighting method because it cannot light the whole garden. It is just use to create a dramatic effect in a garden. A garden spotlight can be used to highlight a specific garden feature like a tree, garden pond, statue, waterfall or a garden fountain.
Peg lights are either LED or powered by solar energy. They are most popular way of lighting a garden as they are easy to install and are less expensive. Moreover they do not require maintenance. But these lights have a dark side too. Solar powered lights need sunlight during day so that they can produce light in night. This drawback has been overcome with batteries. There are some solar lights which also have batteries which can be used if there is insufficient sunlight. Peg lights have different shapes so you can choose one according to your garden style and theme.
Lanterns are also decorative garden lights and come in different shapes, styles and sizes. Most common type of lanterns which are used in gardens is hanging lanterns. You can hang these lanterns on garden posts or around garden furniture. Besides hanging, lanterns can also be placed on garden furniture and other garden features. Lanterns get power either from solar energy or electricity. Some types of lanterns are also powered by candles. Such lanterns give a unique ambience to your garden at night.
These are four major types of lights which you can use in your garden. Each one of them has its own unique characteristics and style so choose one of your favorite from them and use it to have a well-lit garden.
Butterflies make a garden look vibrant and alive with their colors and elegance. Monarch butterflies are one of the butterflies gardeners want to see in their garden. How to attract them to your garden? Follow these simple tips and attract monarch butterflies to your garden and enjoy their grace:
- Most of the adult monarch butterflies like nectar present in flowers so you can plant those flowers in garden. These flowers include lantana, daisies, coneflowers, daylilies and sedum. All these are perennials which bloom after year and year. If you have an herb garden, fill it with mints, verbena and bee-balm.
- Female butterflies always fly here and there in search of plants where they can lay eggs. You can also grow those plants on which monarch butterflies lay their eggs. Monarch butterflies like to lay their eggs on milkweed. Milkweed has different species and you do not need many efforts to grow these plants. Some types of milkweed which you can grow include Showy Milkweed, Smooth Milkweed, White Milkweed, Tropical Milkweed, Green Milkweed, Swamp Milkweed and Sand Milkweed. After young caterpillars come out of eggs, you may don’t like them to be in your main garden. The solution to this problem is simple. You may plant milkweed away from main garden area that is near to nectar plants.
- Male monarch butterflies also like to be gathered around damp sand and mud ponds. If you want to attract monarch butterflies to your garden, you should consider about making such a spot for them. For this, dig a spot and fill it with thin layer of sand and then cover it with dirt. Don’t forget to keep the sand and dirt moist throughout summer season. Again to save beauty of your main garden, make this puddle in your yard away from major garden area.
- Monarch butterflies also need a shelter area to protect themselves from harsh weather conditions like strong winds. Make sure you have a shelter area in your garden. You can also buy attractive butterfly houses but they are just only for decoration because butterflies actually don’t like to stay in these butterfly houses.
Throughout summer season, monarch butterflies undergo four cycles so make sure that you are providing them with above mentioned requirements during all summer and especially in late summer.