Posts Tagged ‘Invitations’
Moth Orchids are one of the most popular types of Orchid flowers. They look very beautiful and give an elegant look to your garden. They are commonly found in South East Asia and Northern parts of Australia. They can be grown in homes as they are a perfect option for an amateur grower. These flowers are very easy to grow as compared to the other types of Orchids but still they need proper care and handling.
Here some important and helpful information is given that would guide you to care for your Moth Orchids. The important factors to be considered are:
Now these factors would be described one by one.
Orchids grow very finely at the normal temperatures in houses. They require different temperatures in day and night. So the ideal temperature in the day time is 70 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit and in night time these flowers require 60 to 70 degree Fahrenheit.
Moth Orchids require indirect light. It is ideal and preferable to place them in front of east-facing window. The color of its foliage indicates that how much light is required by them.
- Bright Green Foliage (means its getting correct amount of light)
- Deep Green Leaves (light is not sufficient)
- Yellow Leaves (absorbing too much light)
Moth Orchids like humidity that’s why they are mostly found in rain forests. In warm weather, they require moisture after one or two days. The humidity is lower in homes, so it becomes necessary to moist them. To do this you can place a tray containing stones and water below your plant. Due to evaporation, the surrounding air will become moist and humidity requirements would be fulfilled.
It is better to water your Moth Orchids early in the morning once a week. They require more water in summer season as compared to that of winter. Some people get confused about watering their Orchids. The best time to water them is when the pot becomes dry.
Following the above instructions would help you a lot to take good care of your Moth Orchids.
Summer flowers bring joy, freshness and fragrance to your garden. If you want to grow summer flowers, you need to have full information about their growing conditions. I will suggest you to consult some person who has personally grown variety of flowers than reading tips from somewhere. Here I am providing you names of some of the summer flowers which I grow every year in my own garden.
These flowers have mostly long and beautiful stems and flowers on these stems are star-shaped. They come in varieties of colors including red, green, yellow and blue. Most interestingly they are also found in bicolor varieties like scarlet and silver or pink and red. Main reason of their popularity is their attractive and elegant colors. These flowers not only add beauty to your garden but are also used in making bouquets and floral arrangements.
Pink Cone Flower
These flowers can grow up to 3’ tall so they can be planted at the back of other flowers especially if flower beds are circular, oval or in the shape of kidney. They like full sun for their growth and bloom from mid-summer into fall.
These flowers bloom plentifully in summer season and have attractive and refreshing colors like purple, red, yellow and white. Like gladiolus, some of their varieties are also bicolor. Their height varies from dwarfs, intermediate to tall. When I started growing these flowers, I was unaware of their pruning requirements. As a result my snapdragons were very short-lived but after that I made some research on their growth requirements and came to know that in order to prolong their blooming time, they are required to be pruned properly and on time. Doing this really prolonged their blooming time.
I love to grow these flowers in my garden because they produce small but long-term flowers and can grow up to 5 feet tall. They have a daisy-like appearance and flowers are yellow having brown or brown-black centers. These species are named triloba because of three lobes of their petals. Its stems have a unique red color with a hairy appearance and foliage is mostly very thick and shaggy.
Lily of the Valley
These flowers only grow up to 6” to 8” tall and so I always plant them in front borders. They are sweet-smelling and bell-shaped flowers having beautiful and soothing white color. Their blooming season continues from late spring to early summer but their green leaves and stems remain throughout summer season.
Pansies and Violets
These flowers can either be grown in flowerbeds or in pots. I have grown them in flowerpots so they are serving as a means of decorating front porch of my house. These are annual flowers and can grow throughout summer season if proper care is taken. As far as their colors are concerned, undoubtedly they come in a rainbow of colors like orange, blue, pink, black and purple.
These were some of the varieties of summer flowers which I recommend you to grow in your garden and give it a beautiful look all the summer season.
These days, gardens are populated with roses and pansies but nobody thinks about growing a wildflower garden. Growing a wildflower garden is easier because wildflowers are resistant to pests and diseases and they can tolerate harsh weather conditions. Wildflowers can also survive in all types of soil and once they are grown in their required environment they can continue to grow without trimming, weeding and watering. I have made extensive research on growing wildflower garden and want to share some of the tips with you so that you can also grow a wildflower garden in your home. Follow these tips:
- Sow seeds of wildflowers in ground which doesn’t has weeds and grasses. It is necessary for growth of wildflowers that they should not be in competition with these.
- Decide the time when you want to sow seeds. Wildflowers can be planted in spring or fall as they like warm soil. Ideal temperature required for the growth of wildflowers is 68 to 70 degrees Fahrenheit. For your further help and assistance, you can also ask your local nursery about it or follow instructions given on seeds packet.
- When it comes to select a suitable location, you should choose a place that receives enough sunlight and possesses well-drained soil. Most of the wildflowers require 5 to 8 hours of sunlight for their proper growth.
- Now after selecting a suitable location, prepare the ground for sowing seeds. Make sure that you have removed all weeds and other vegetation.
- Take wildflower seeds and mix them with fine-grade builder’s sand taking four parts of sand and one part of seeds. Now sow seeds by spreading them in a far-reaching motion. You can do so with your hands and can also use broadcast seeder for this purpose.
- Tap seeds in the ground but keep in mind that if a seed is buried very deep in soil, it will not sprout. Do this task in the best possible way, walk over seedbeds and tap soil with your feet.
- Seeds of wildflowers require water for their germination so water seeds regularly until the plants grow one to two inches tall. After that wildflowers will need water only when they will look withered.
- If you see some weeds growing in your wildflower garden, remove them with your hands before they grow further.
These were some of the most important steps and tips to grow a wildflower garden. Follow these steps and beautify your garden with simple but graceful wildflowers.
Rock rose which is also commonly known as Cistus, is a plant in form of a bush having single rose like flowers. Some of its varieties grow up to five feet tall whereas some others species grow lower and come in form of ground covers. These are evergreen plants having short lived flowers but if proper ways are adopted for their growth and care, they can produce new blooms everyday during entire summer season. I am a rock rose lover and have some important tips on growing rock rose which are given below for your help and information.
Some growth requirements and conditions are given below:
Light and Weather Conditions
These plants require full sun for their healthy growth and the best thing which I like about rock rose is that they can also be grown on seashore as they easily tolerate salt air. They can bear hot weather conditions as well and maintain their rich and decorative look. Rock rose can also be grown in a garden that can bear drought making the garden looking lush and verdant.
As far as soil requirements are concerned, they should be grown in fertile soil having rough surface. If soil is richer than the requirements of rock rose then this plant will find it difficult to live through winter months. These plants like dry and stony soil lacking organic substances so use of gravel mulch is recommended for their healthy growth.
I must also mention here about watering tips for rock rose plant. Their roots are vulnerable and rot quickly in wet soils so good drainage is must for these plants. To improve drainage, I would recommend you to add sand to the planting hole.
Rootball of Cistus should be handled gently while planting because its roots are brittle and can break in case of improper care. People generally get confused about their growing season so for those people I would like to mention that the best growing season is early summer or late spring.
Cistus can be pruned to improve their growth and appearance. The best time to trim them is during their blooming period but trimming season also depends on regions in which they are grown. If you are growing them in colder regions then prune them at the end of winter and if they are grown in mild winter regions, you are recommended to cut them back in autumn so remember to prune them annually.
Following the above given tips, you can grow Cistus and surprise your guests with a unique look of your garden.
Marigolds are attractive and good looking flowers that can enhance grace and beauty of garden. They are very easy to grow and the best thing about these flowers is that their seeds can be preserved to plant these flowers and there is no need to buy them every year. I have done some research on the methods of preserving marigold seeds and the best method which I found is explained below:
Things you will Needs to Dry Seeds
The things that will be required for drying and preserving seeds include:
- Dead Seeds heads of marigolds
- Paper bag
Method of preserving marigold seeds is as follows:
- Picking Time: Marigold seeds are picked during fall season, so choose a sunny morning to pick the seeds but remember to do this after the dew has dried.
- Seeds to Be Picked: Now pick a bunch of seeds from plant that are fleshy and hard. Don’t pick spongy seeds.
- Placing Them in Tray: Place these seeds in a tray spreading them in one layer.
- Drying the Seeds: Place seeds in a warm and dry place. This process can take place in an oven that makes the drying process faster. Temperature required to dry them is 140 degrees. It is very important to let the seeds dry because if they don’t get dry, they will be eaten by bugs and insects and your effort to preserve seeds for next season will go in smoke.
- Storing the Seeds after Drying: After drying the seeds, put them in a paper bag and keep it in a cool and dry place. Do remember to keep them covered to protect them from spiders and mice as seeds are delicious food for them. An interesting fact about the marigold seeds is that each seed has further 150 seeds so picking a few handfuls of seeds would be more than enough for your garden.
Here the process of preserving marigold seeds is completed. Now they are ready to be separated and planted in spring season. Seeds that should be picked must have bright black section, so pick seeds carefully, dry them and then plant them in your garden.
Orchid family is a vast flowering family having more than 25000 species and a wide variety of colors like blue pink, purple etc. Moreover they come in different patterns of colors like spotted or sectioned in color blocks. There are some varieties of orchids that are known and loved for their beautiful purple color. Purple orchids have further different types. Here I am going to describe types of purple orchids which you can grow in your home and consequently add to the beauty and elegance of your house.
Cattleya orchids are one of the purple orchids. In the center of the flower, these orchids have distinctive gullet having deep magenta or intense purple color. Cattleya plants and cut flowers that are found for sale have light lavender to deep violet color.
These orchids produce numerous blooms on long and curved stems. These flowers are found in violet purple color or pale lavender color. Dendrobiums come in a variety of colors including soft lavender, lilac purple and deep blue black purple. Deep blue black purple can be in solid purple petals or it can have white blooms with deep purple tips.
The vanda orchids are also a type of purple orchids having different shades of purple. The vanda orchids which are available for sale have bright purple color having blue tinges. A pale white pattern of the petals give a much textured appearance to vanda orchid. This textured appearance is sometimes giving a very hard look to flowers on some plants while on some other plants it gives a softer look.
Moth orchid is a type of orchid flowers that are commonly found in florist shops and grocery stores. They bloom in different shades of purple color from pale lavender-pink to deep violet having white freckled spots. As compared to the cool bluish purple touch of vanda orchids, they give somewhat warmer look with purple color mixed with pink.
These orchids are very stylish, sophisticated and exotic looking plants that have a single bloom on a long and hairy stem. These flowers have deep reddish purple color and black purple gullet while the lower petal has lighter color in the center.
Vanda orchid is a type of orchid plants having almost 50 species. It is among one of the most loved and popular type of orchids because Vanda orchids are not only stunning and beautiful but also very easy to take care of. Most of the orchid flowers require special care but Vanda orchids are not demanding at all but despite of this fact, they need proper care and handling. Here in this article, I am going to give you some instructions regarding taking care of Vanda orchids.
- First of all, you have to consider about watering the Vanda orchids. You are required to water these orchids after every four to thirteen days. Watering Vanda orchids also depends on the weather conditions. They are required to be watered more often in summer and, of course, less frequently in winter season.
- While considering about watering these orchids, keep in mind that orchids should be dry before watering again.
- The next important factor which needs special care is that Vanda orchids also require humidity. In order to raise the level of humidity, you are required to spray Vanda orchids with cool water. You can do so by using a spraying bottle. Providing Vanda orchids with proper level of humidity is very important, especially during summer season or in winter season if you are providing them with heat.
- Replanting these orchids is also very important for their healthy growth. To increase their blooming performance, you can replant them after a year or two but make sure to follow the correct method of replanting. For repotting, choose a container with good drainage. It should be two inches larger than the older pot. Now remove the plant gently from the older pot along with removing all the old bark from roots. Now place the plant in the new pot making sure that its roots are evenly spread in the pot. Also remember that the new pot should be partially filled with orchid charcoal and bark before placing the plant into it.
- After placing the plant in the new pot, add more of orchid planting mix around the roots of plant, then water it properly and drain.
- When it comes to cutting the leaves, you need to be very careful. Only dead and yellow leaves should be cut off when they are withered. If you cut the leaves only because they are damaged and not dead completely then it may cause to spread the disease on the plant and the root system will also be damaged.
- Before cutting the bloom and bloom stem, make sure that they have died on their own. Doing so will help orchids to draw back their energy into plant for next blooms.
These were some useful tips and instructions that must be followed for taking care of Vanda orchids in a proper way.