Archive for May 2011
There are a number of plants that are grown best in summer as they can tolerate high temperatures and hot sunny days. Do you also want to grow some beautiful plants this summer? If yes then let me tell you that list of summer plants is too long that it becomes difficult to decide which plants will grow best in your garden. To make it easy for you to decide, I am giving a list of some plants that grow best in summer.
These perennial plants are drought tolerant and are resistant to pests and diseases. Flowers of these plants bloom in a wide range of colors including peach, orange, pink, red and burgundy. These showy and pretty flowers attract butterflies and are the best for planting around a yard or garden border.
Roses are the most loved plants having spectacular flowers. I have also grown roses in my garden so I can guarantee you that these plants require little care and maintenance and are very easy to grow. As they have flowers of vibrant and bright colors, so they are considered best to add life and color to your summer garden.
These are also great summer perennial plants. Like daylilies, they are also hardy and tough plants and are tolerant to heat and drought so they can prove to be the best plants to grow in summer. Another specialty of these plants is that they can grow in almost every type of soil including those which are low in nutrition. These purple-pinkish flowers, having orange center, are very beautiful and best for summer gardens.
This is a great summer plant and truly adds color to garden as its flowers have a large variety of colors including lavender, white, blue, pink and purple. These plants are loved by gardeners because these plants bloom throughout summer.
Sweet peas are popular among gardeners because of their vine-like ability. They can grow on walls and fences provided that they are given support with the help of a string or net. Throughout summer season, they produce fragrant flowers having a wide range of colors.
Another tough and perennial flower is Black-eyed Susan which grows well in summer and can tolerate hot and humid conditions. This plant produces flowers having golden yellow color which can have a width of up to 9 inches.
This shrub is a treat for gardeners who want to beautify their garden in late summer. This shrub produces blue blooms having silvery-green leaves. Birds and butterflies are also attracted towards this heat and drought tolerant plant.
Hosta are another popular summer plant which is known for their beautiful foliage. Its leaves have beautiful pattern as they have yellow, white and green stripes on them. They are capable of bringing color and liveliness to any summer garden.
This list of best summer plants will help you a lot in choosing best plants for your summer garden. So, this summer, grow any of the above plants to give a different and stunning look to your summer garden.
Also known as ‘dwarf sunflowers’, miniature sunflowers are shorter and have smaller heads. They are easy to grow therefore they are popularly grown by kids and amateur gardeners. Being an amateur gardener, I also grew these sunflowers in my garden for which I researched a lot and gathered some useful tips to grow miniature sunflowers. If you are also interested in growing these flowers, read this post carefully:
Planting Plan: Firstly I would like to tell you that you should make a growth plan for mini sunflowers at least two or three weeks before the last snow fall. And one more thing! Start growing mini sunflowers indoors and after they have grown properly, you can transplant them.
Selection of Containers: Now, select containers for your mini sunflowers. While choosing container, make sure that their opening is spacious and they are not too narrow because a narrow container will make it difficult for you to transplant sunflowers. Mini sunflowers also need drainage so select a container that can drain well.
Filling Containers with Soil: After carefully selecting containers, fill them with rich and fertile potting soil making sure that you have left half inch of space. Mini sunflowers take essential nutrients from the soil rapidly so if you are growing sunflowers in containers, you will be required to recondition the soil a number of times in a year. Now, you can sow seeds of mini sunflowers. Sprinkle seeds equally on the surface of soil.
Sowing Seeds: Don’t forget to cover the seeds lightly with half inch layer of soil. You can do so with the help of a garden spade or you can use your hands also. I prefer you to do this with your hands. If you are growing miniature sunflowers in more than one container, repeat the same process of sowing seeds in each container.
Watering Soil: Soil needs to be watered after sowing seeds so water each of your containers openhandedly until you feel that soil has become damp enough. You can check dampness by putting your finger one inch deep in the soil. It means that you should feel dampness up to one inch deep in soil.
Placing in Sunny Location: As mini sunflowers need sufficient sunlight, place your containers near a window that receives full sunlight. After the last frost, when the ground defrosts, transplant sunflowers. You will again have to choose a place receiving full sun. Bury your seedlings keeping a distance of 3 to 4 inches between them.
I hope that the above mentioned tips are enough for growing mini sunflowers. Follow these and have healthy miniature sunflowers in your garden.
Vanilla orchid is a tropical plant and likes humid conditions to grow well. This plant produces flowers and seeds pods from which we get vanilla extract. It is the only type of orchid that grows in form of vine. Depending on different varieties, vanilla orchid plants can grow up to ten feet tall. Although vanilla plant is tropical, with some efforts it can be grown in any climate. Today’s post is all about growing vanilla orchid plants so if you are an orchid lover, you will definitely love this post:
- Start process of growing vanilla plants by setting the cuttings in potting mix and wood mulch. You are required to set the cuttings deeply enough so that roots are covered.
- Now insert a wooden stake next to the plant and then tie plant to stake. Are you thinking why it is necessary to tie plant with a wooden stake? As I mentioned earlier, vanilla plants grow in form of vine, so it needs to be attached with a stake for support.
- Next, you will require setting up hot and humid place for growing your vanilla plant. As these plants are tropical, they require damp environment to grow well. As far as temperature requirements are concerned, vanilla plants require 80 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit in day time while at night they like a temperature between 60 to 65 degrees Fahrenheit. To provide such an environment to the plants, you will require using heating lamp and glasshouse. You can find these things at any nursery near your home.
- Your vanilla plant will also need a good fertilizer to grow healthily. Fertilize vanilla plants with a fertilizer having equal quantities of nitrogen, potassium and phosphorus in it.
- Vanilla plants require to be watered twice or thrice a week but while watering ensure that soil gets wet but not over-watered. Over-watering will damage roots of your vanilla plant. To maintain a humid environment, I will suggest you misting the glasshouse every few days.
- Pollinate the flowers with hands within 12 hours of their opening. You will do this with the help of a thin bamboo skewer. All you need to do is that you will have to lift the flap of flower and then press the skewer against anther. Anther is the part of flower that contains pollen grains. After brushing pollen on stigma, pollination process will start to produce pods.
- When you see that bean pods have ripened, remove them from plant and enfold them in dark but clean cloth. After doing this, you will need to expose these beans to sunlight for 5 to 6 hours every day. After exposing beans to light, wrap them again in cloth and repeat the process of drying for approximately two weeks.
- After two weeks, place beans at a clean and cool place for final drying. Your vanilla pods will now become ready to be used.
Follow above mentioned steps to grow vanilla plants in your garden. These tips are really useful and reliable so you can follow them without any hesitation.
Are you worried about the care of your black jewel orchids???? Don’t worry. I myself grew black jewel orchids in my home and did a lot of search on tips to take care black jewel orchids. During my search, I found a number of useful tips which I also used to take proper care of my black jewel orchids. For your help and convenience, I will share these tips with you:
- According to my research and experience, black jewel orchids require low light level because too much light will spoil color of its leaves and they will start looking dull. If leaves of your black jewel orchids have become yellowish or reddish then it means that they are receiving more light than required. Moreover if you are feeling that leaves are warmer than surrounding air, it also means that plants are receiving too much light so be careful in this regard and place a thin curtain to protect plant from excessive sunlight.
- Black jewel orchids should be watered early in morning so that it may become dry before night. I made a mistake of watering my plants in afternoon and as a result wet leaves of my plants caught nighttime chills so don’t do this mistake. I will add one more thing here. Always remember that wet leaves are easily attacked by fungus so water plants twice a week in summer and once a week in winter season. Make sure that you are keeping potting medium moist instead of wet. I will recommend you to use rainwater for watering purpose instead of tap water as rainwater contains fluoride.
- Black jewel orchids require well-draining potting medium so I will suggest you to use a mixture of bark and coconut peat along with frayed isolite. These plants also grow in regular potting soil that is mixed with peat moss, gravel or sand.
- As far as fertilizing is concerned, black jewel orchids need to be fertilized during their growing season to boost up flowering. While fertilizing, make sure that you have watered the plants because fertilizers can burn plant roots.
- If orchids are grown indoors, they can be easily attacked by pests like mealy bugs, scale and spider mites. To control pest attack, use soapy water instead of those insecticides containing harsh chemicals. Solution should be directly sprayed on insects to kill them all. To kill mealy bugs and scale, use rubbing alcohol.
That was all about taking care of black jewel orchids. You can follow these tips with full faith as they have followed by me as well.
Summer tropical flowers are beautiful and can add colors to your garden. These flowers come in different colors, sizes and shapes and you can plant any of them. Summer season is approaching so if you are interested in growing these flowers in your garden, you must start gathering information about them. I have made a list of some summer tropical flowers which I will share with you. You can select any of them to grow in your home garden.
Blue Flag Iris
These long-lasting and aromatic flowers come in vivid and deep colors. Blue flag iris grows from four to seven feet tall at ripeness forming three to five feet large bunches of greenery. I have also planted these flowers in my home and I can assure you that they are very easy to grow and require very low maintenance. They can also adjust in moist soil conditions. As they are durable flowers so you will also find them in different and stunning floral arrangements. Although blue flag iris is native to Greece but it has adapted very well with other climates as well.
The most common and popular variety of Anthurium is pink flamingo anthurium which belongs to arum family. The facts that make these flowers favorite are their fresh colors, shape and long life. Anthurium has several species having flowers of different colors ranging from pink to dark ruby-red. As far as size of these plants is concerned, it also vary from specie to specie as some are 12 to 18 inches in height and some others are 3 to 5 feet tall. All species of these plants have ever-green and heart shaped leaves having a large size.
This is my favorite tropical flower plant that produces beautiful and delicate flowers having white, red and pink colors. Moss verbena grows quickly and helps in filling bare spots of garden. I have planted moss verbena in my garden because they attract butterflies and give a more natural and beautiful look to my garden. These flowers don’t only beautify gardens but are also used to beautify different events as they are use as fillers in bouquets.
Actually ginger is native to Asian region but now it is also cultivated in Florida, the Caribbean and West Africa. Ginger also belongs to the family of cardamom and turmeric and hence its roots are used in making different medicines. If you will grow these in your garden, they will make your garden look elegant due to its flowers which have different colors including pink, white, red and yellow. Growing from 1 to 6 feet tall, it grows rapidly to form bunches. It also provides long-lasting cut flowers.
These are some of the most beautiful summer tropical flowers which you can grow in your garden this summer.
To tell you the truth, black roses don’t actually exist. They only look black because of their dark and deep red color. There are different types of black roses but the most popular among them is Black Jade and most of the gardeners like to grow this rose plant. If you are also interested in growing Black Jade in your garden then you must know about all the tips and requirements to grow them properly. Some of the most important tips are given below:
- Black Jade should be planted in sandy soil so if you feel that your soil is very heavy due to clay then you will require adding some sand or organic mulch in soil. As far as location requirements are concerned, these roses need partial shade to grow healthily. After planting, pack the soil slackly around plant and then water.
- The soil should be kept hardly moist to grow black rose properly and take care that water should not stand as this may cause mold growth. I made this mistake while growing my black roses and lost them consequently so I will strongly recommend you to take care of this factor. During hot weather, black roses should be watered at least thrice a week.
- Fertilizing is also important so add fertilizer soil making sure that the fertilizer has been especially made for roses. For fertilizing properly, follow instructions given on fertilizer bag. Mostly black roses need to be fertilized at start of their growing season and once in middle of their growing season.
- Rose bush should be pruned in winter. Months of January and February are best for this purpose. Prune the rose bush all the way down in such a way that only four to six inches is left on stem.
- You will constantly need to watch plants for brown spots on leaves or petals because these plants are delicate and defenseless to fungus. So if you find spots on leaves, immediately treat your plant with a fungicide.
Black roses need special care while growing them so follow above mentioned tips and have a healthy black rose plant in your garden.