Posts Tagged ‘Sunflower Floral Arrangements’
Most of us know that sunflowers come only in bright yellow color. That’s not actually true. Sunflowers are available in other colors also like pale and dark orange and deep red. Drying such beautifully colored flowers for floral arrangements is quite enjoyable. After drying, these flowers can be used in a number of ways combined with other flowers and foliage. But for all this to happen, you need to follow some reliable method of drying. Here an easy way to dry sunflowers is presented after which you can use these flowers for beautiful floral arrangements.
Method of Drying
Method of drying sunflowers for floral arrangements is as follows:
- First step is the careful selection of flowers. For floral arrangements, choose the flowers that are newly opened without having broken or damaged petals. After selecting suitable flowers, cut the stem in such a way that only ¼ inch remains back.
- Next step is to cut a wire having a length of 2 inches. The top half inch of wire should be now bent in the form of a hook.
- Now the long end of wire is pushed into flowers so that the hook comes at center of flower and the flower is protruded from its back. Keep in mind that the hook should not be visible from the front. Actually the purpose of hook is to attach floral wire to the flowers so that they can be easily placed in floral arrangements.
- Take some silica gel and make a layer of about one inch in a container made of plastic. Make sure that the lid of the container is tight. Take flowers and lay them on the top of silica gel layer. Keep in mind to place the flowers facing upwards. Now gently push sunflowers into gel.
- In the next step, silica crystals are sprinkled on the top of flowers. To keep the sunflowers in their natural shape, try to make sure that crystals reach between and under sunflowers petals. Continue to sprinkle the gel until the flowers are fully covered with. Now cover the container with its lid and leave the flowers in the mixture for 2 days.
- After two days, remove lid. In order to remove gel and disclose the center of flowers, brush the gel carefully. If the center of flower is dried then it is ready to be used but if it is not dried completely then leave it for one more day.
- The last step is to lift the flowers out of gel. To perform this process successfully, take down or slip your fingers under sunflowers and lift them. Now remove the excessive gel by turning flowers upside down and tapping them on the back. Your sunflowers are now dried and ready to be used for arrangements. These flowers can also be stored in sealed bags if you don’t have any intentions to use them immediately.
Following the above method will enable you to dry sunflowers in a better way to use them for floral arrangements which can further be used for various purposes.