Posts Tagged ‘Gadgets’
Moth Orchids are one of the most popular types of Orchid flowers. They look very beautiful and give an elegant look to your garden. They are commonly found in South East Asia and Northern parts of Australia. They can be grown in homes as they are a perfect option for an amateur grower. These flowers are very easy to grow as compared to the other types of Orchids but still they need proper care and handling.
Here some important and helpful information is given that would guide you to care for your Moth Orchids. The important factors to be considered are:
Now these factors would be described one by one.
Orchids grow very finely at the normal temperatures in houses. They require different temperatures in day and night. So the ideal temperature in the day time is 70 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit and in night time these flowers require 60 to 70 degree Fahrenheit.
Moth Orchids require indirect light. It is ideal and preferable to place them in front of east-facing window. The color of its foliage indicates that how much light is required by them.
- Bright Green Foliage (means its getting correct amount of light)
- Deep Green Leaves (light is not sufficient)
- Yellow Leaves (absorbing too much light)
Moth Orchids like humidity that’s why they are mostly found in rain forests. In warm weather, they require moisture after one or two days. The humidity is lower in homes, so it becomes necessary to moist them. To do this you can place a tray containing stones and water below your plant. Due to evaporation, the surrounding air will become moist and humidity requirements would be fulfilled.
It is better to water your Moth Orchids early in the morning once a week. They require more water in summer season as compared to that of winter. Some people get confused about watering their Orchids. The best time to water them is when the pot becomes dry.
Following the above instructions would help you a lot to take good care of your Moth Orchids.
Summer flowers bring joy, freshness and fragrance to your garden. If you want to grow summer flowers, you need to have full information about their growing conditions. I will suggest you to consult some person who has personally grown variety of flowers than reading tips from somewhere. Here I am providing you names of some of the summer flowers which I grow every year in my own garden.
These flowers have mostly long and beautiful stems and flowers on these stems are star-shaped. They come in varieties of colors including red, green, yellow and blue. Most interestingly they are also found in bicolor varieties like scarlet and silver or pink and red. Main reason of their popularity is their attractive and elegant colors. These flowers not only add beauty to your garden but are also used in making bouquets and floral arrangements.
Pink Cone Flower
These flowers can grow up to 3’ tall so they can be planted at the back of other flowers especially if flower beds are circular, oval or in the shape of kidney. They like full sun for their growth and bloom from mid-summer into fall.
These flowers bloom plentifully in summer season and have attractive and refreshing colors like purple, red, yellow and white. Like gladiolus, some of their varieties are also bicolor. Their height varies from dwarfs, intermediate to tall. When I started growing these flowers, I was unaware of their pruning requirements. As a result my snapdragons were very short-lived but after that I made some research on their growth requirements and came to know that in order to prolong their blooming time, they are required to be pruned properly and on time. Doing this really prolonged their blooming time.
I love to grow these flowers in my garden because they produce small but long-term flowers and can grow up to 5 feet tall. They have a daisy-like appearance and flowers are yellow having brown or brown-black centers. These species are named triloba because of three lobes of their petals. Its stems have a unique red color with a hairy appearance and foliage is mostly very thick and shaggy.
Lily of the Valley
These flowers only grow up to 6” to 8” tall and so I always plant them in front borders. They are sweet-smelling and bell-shaped flowers having beautiful and soothing white color. Their blooming season continues from late spring to early summer but their green leaves and stems remain throughout summer season.
Pansies and Violets
These flowers can either be grown in flowerbeds or in pots. I have grown them in flowerpots so they are serving as a means of decorating front porch of my house. These are annual flowers and can grow throughout summer season if proper care is taken. As far as their colors are concerned, undoubtedly they come in a rainbow of colors like orange, blue, pink, black and purple.
These were some of the varieties of summer flowers which I recommend you to grow in your garden and give it a beautiful look all the summer season.
Zinnias are annual flowers having long stalk. They are mostly grown to decorate flower vases and making floral arrangements. Gardeners love to plant these flowers because of their beautiful colors like red, white, pink, yellow, orange and even these are found in multi-colors. They can also be grown in combination with other flowers to add more beauty to your garden. I am fond of growing different flowers in my garden. This year I decided to grow zinnias and to make it possible I made some research on requirements which are important for their healthy growth. These requirements are as follows:
- Soil condition is very important to consider while growing any kind of flower. So is the case with zinnias. They need well-drained soil having large amount of organic matter. Zinnias can also be grown if soil is poor and not well-drained but to improve their growth, you will be required to make some alteration in soil to get healthy and vigorous flowers.
- When it comes to sowing seeds, you are also required to make some preparations. Sow seeds either in already prepared seed box or directly into flower pots. For best results and in order to have better spacing between the plants, it is recommended to sow seeds indoors in germinating tray or seed box and then planting them in the in plots later.
- When the seedlings become ready for transplanting, plant them in plot after last frost of season. During plant’s growing period they are required to be watered to make the soil damp. This process of watering regularly should be continued until flowers begin to bloom.
- Proper space between plants is also important for their healthy and fit growth but remember that planting distance varies with size of zinnia plant which you want to grow in your garden. Miniature varieties require a distance of 4 to 6 inches between them while gigantic varieties may require a distance of 1 to 2 feet.
- When you feel that plants have been set in beds and are fully established, you will then require putting some mulching material around their base. It is necessary to do so in order to protect plants against weeds and to maintain moisture of soil. You will require providing general purpose fertilizer at least once a month to make zinnia producing more flowers. Mostly zinnias begin to produce flowers during mid-summer until start of frostiness.
- These flowers are also required to be removed when they die away. This will encourage growth of some new blooms. If you have planted giant varieties of zinnia, then prune long branches that stimulate new branches to grow.
- Pest and disease control is necessary for growth of plants but in case of zinnias, you will not require to bother as these plants are tough and defiant to attack of pests and diseases. In spite of this, if you still feel that your plants are attacked by some pests, provide them with insecticidal soap which you can make at home. Fungicides are also very effective in this regard.
Following above given instructions, you will be able to make your garden look colorful with different varieties of zinnias. Zinnias grown in your garden can also be used for making decorations on different events like weddings and birthdays.
Marigolds are attractive and good looking flowers that can enhance grace and beauty of garden. They are very easy to grow and the best thing about these flowers is that their seeds can be preserved to plant these flowers and there is no need to buy them every year. I have done some research on the methods of preserving marigold seeds and the best method which I found is explained below:
Things you will Needs to Dry Seeds
The things that will be required for drying and preserving seeds include:
- Dead Seeds heads of marigolds
- Paper bag
Method of preserving marigold seeds is as follows:
- Picking Time: Marigold seeds are picked during fall season, so choose a sunny morning to pick the seeds but remember to do this after the dew has dried.
- Seeds to Be Picked: Now pick a bunch of seeds from plant that are fleshy and hard. Don’t pick spongy seeds.
- Placing Them in Tray: Place these seeds in a tray spreading them in one layer.
- Drying the Seeds: Place seeds in a warm and dry place. This process can take place in an oven that makes the drying process faster. Temperature required to dry them is 140 degrees. It is very important to let the seeds dry because if they don’t get dry, they will be eaten by bugs and insects and your effort to preserve seeds for next season will go in smoke.
- Storing the Seeds after Drying: After drying the seeds, put them in a paper bag and keep it in a cool and dry place. Do remember to keep them covered to protect them from spiders and mice as seeds are delicious food for them. An interesting fact about the marigold seeds is that each seed has further 150 seeds so picking a few handfuls of seeds would be more than enough for your garden.
Here the process of preserving marigold seeds is completed. Now they are ready to be separated and planted in spring season. Seeds that should be picked must have bright black section, so pick seeds carefully, dry them and then plant them in your garden.
Perennials are the flowers, plant and shrubs having a longer lifespan. After a long winter, gardeners wish to grow some perennials that can beautify their garden with such flowers that are long-lasting. Some home gardeners do not know which perennials spring flowers should be planted in their gardens therefore I am going to share information about some perennial flower for guidance of such amateur gardeners:
This perennial is short-lived as compared to other perennials. Its blooms are very beautiful and come in different colors including white, salmon, yellow and blue. Crested iris grows well in shady areas and can adjust to all moisture conditions. It grows even better when it is planted in flower beds.
Moss phlox is a perennial that blooms in the months of April and May. Its flowers are very attractive and come in the shades of red, pink, white and purple. This plant requires full sun and well-drained soil to grow well. It has the ability to grow in different soil conditions and it can even tolerate drought. Moss phlox can be grown in containers, beds or in rock gardens.
Candytuft is an evergreen flowering shrub that produces white flowers in late spring and early summer. It can grow to a height of six to twelve inches. Candytufts should be planted in full sun and are required to be sheared after flowering in order to keep them shaggy.
It is also a perennial that produces white flowers in late spring or early summer. This plant has deep green low foliage and needs full sun for its proper growth. It can also tolerate light shade and grow better in well-drained soil. These flowers can be planted in borders, pots or near the waterways.
These are the shrubs that grow first in early spring producing beautiful yellow flowers. They can be grown either in full sun or light shade. These bushes grow very fast and fill in the area very quickly.
These were some perennials spring flowers that you can grow to add to the grace and exquisiteness of your garden.
Orchid family is a vast flowering family having more than 25000 species and a wide variety of colors like blue pink, purple etc. Moreover they come in different patterns of colors like spotted or sectioned in color blocks. There are some varieties of orchids that are known and loved for their beautiful purple color. Purple orchids have further different types. Here I am going to describe types of purple orchids which you can grow in your home and consequently add to the beauty and elegance of your house.
Cattleya orchids are one of the purple orchids. In the center of the flower, these orchids have distinctive gullet having deep magenta or intense purple color. Cattleya plants and cut flowers that are found for sale have light lavender to deep violet color.
These orchids produce numerous blooms on long and curved stems. These flowers are found in violet purple color or pale lavender color. Dendrobiums come in a variety of colors including soft lavender, lilac purple and deep blue black purple. Deep blue black purple can be in solid purple petals or it can have white blooms with deep purple tips.
The vanda orchids are also a type of purple orchids having different shades of purple. The vanda orchids which are available for sale have bright purple color having blue tinges. A pale white pattern of the petals give a much textured appearance to vanda orchid. This textured appearance is sometimes giving a very hard look to flowers on some plants while on some other plants it gives a softer look.
Moth orchid is a type of orchid flowers that are commonly found in florist shops and grocery stores. They bloom in different shades of purple color from pale lavender-pink to deep violet having white freckled spots. As compared to the cool bluish purple touch of vanda orchids, they give somewhat warmer look with purple color mixed with pink.
These orchids are very stylish, sophisticated and exotic looking plants that have a single bloom on a long and hairy stem. These flowers have deep reddish purple color and black purple gullet while the lower petal has lighter color in the center.