Posts Tagged ‘seeds’
Decoration with Orchids
Decorating interior spaces and gardens with orchid flowers is a good idea to fill spaces that will make you relaxed and feel good. Orchids have long list of advantages that make them perfect for home decoration if you are aware of special care these plants need. You can have this plant by following simple rules to create a huge visual space it is placed in.
Decoration of house or interior space needs much consideration. Use of plants within the whole area is a common idea but it needs much care. Green and leafy plants are always attractive that can greatly transform interior spaces, gardens and offices if perfect orchid is selected to decorate these spaces. Have you ever thought to decorate your home, garden and terrace with orchids? If not then you should think of this to get a new green environment in your home or office.
- A very big advantage of these flowers is that you can keep these flowers fresh for months contrary to other indoor plants.
- These are hardy plants and don’t require much water. They are virtually immortal if and only if you are aware of proper care and maintenance needs of orchard plants.
- They are also considered as best for indoor and garden decorations as you can get wide range of colors that you exactly want for decoration of your chosen space.
Definitely you need to know details that you have to pay attention from very first day you grow orchid plants in your home. Here is very useful information that will help you in making your decoration successful and attractive exactly you have dreamed.
Make Sure to Buy Orchids in Healthy and Good Condition
Remember that healthy and fresh orchids, without diseases and pests, you are guaranteeing more than 60 percent of your success to make your decoration project great. Make sure that there should be no spots on leaves. Bulbs and flowers will help you in determining the health status of orchids you are going to buy.
Think about the Space You Want to Decorate with Orchids
Determine if that selected space is too hot, too cold or it is exposed to lot of breezes. Any extreme condition will be bad for your orchids.
Check Availability of Light of the Place You Want to Decorate
Light is a very important factor to be considered before thinking to select a place for decoration with plants. Some orchids are very resistant to light than others. Make sure to choose right orchids for the space according to light and other conditions to ensure proper growth of orchids without any problem.
Determine Moisture Level of the Space Where you Want to Plant in Orchids
No extreme situation is good for orchids. Don’t make a mistake to place the plants in the area that has either very high or low humidity.
Follow above mentioned basic information that is very necessary to keep your orchid healthy and happy. It is hopped that information provided here will help you to create very attractive space using best orchid flowers.
Marigolds are attractive and good looking flowers that can enhance grace and beauty of garden. They are very easy to grow and the best thing about these flowers is that their seeds can be preserved to plant these flowers and there is no need to buy them every year. I have done some research on the methods of preserving marigold seeds and the best method which I found is explained below:
Things you will Needs to Dry Seeds
The things that will be required for drying and preserving seeds include:
- Dead Seeds heads of marigolds
- Paper bag
Method of preserving marigold seeds is as follows:
- Picking Time: Marigold seeds are picked during fall season, so choose a sunny morning to pick the seeds but remember to do this after the dew has dried.
- Seeds to Be Picked: Now pick a bunch of seeds from plant that are fleshy and hard. Don’t pick spongy seeds.
- Placing Them in Tray: Place these seeds in a tray spreading them in one layer.
- Drying the Seeds: Place seeds in a warm and dry place. This process can take place in an oven that makes the drying process faster. Temperature required to dry them is 140 degrees. It is very important to let the seeds dry because if they don’t get dry, they will be eaten by bugs and insects and your effort to preserve seeds for next season will go in smoke.
- Storing the Seeds after Drying: After drying the seeds, put them in a paper bag and keep it in a cool and dry place. Do remember to keep them covered to protect them from spiders and mice as seeds are delicious food for them. An interesting fact about the marigold seeds is that each seed has further 150 seeds so picking a few handfuls of seeds would be more than enough for your garden.
Here the process of preserving marigold seeds is completed. Now they are ready to be separated and planted in spring season. Seeds that should be picked must have bright black section, so pick seeds carefully, dry them and then plant them in your garden.
Orchid family is most numerous in the plant kingdom. 25000 to 30000 species of orchids are there around the world. Orchids are most beautiful, sensual, exotic and most expensive flowers. Their elegant look and eye-catching appearance make these flowers favorite to anyone. There are two types of orchids, one is terrestrial orchids and second is epiphytes. Both types are very popular among flower fans. Some other orchids that you will like to buy and grow are:
Probably, this type of orchids is the most ordinary sort. These plants can buy from a standard grocery store. In Asian supermarket, truck-loads of white or purplish pink variety can easily be found. Fashion designers, call its purplish-pink color as “orchids”. Moth orchids are also known as Phalaenopsis orchids. Phalaenopsis orchids are epiphytes and grow on trees in a constantly moist environment. These flowers look very graceful due to their long flower spikes. These flowers are full of power to brighten up a dull atmosphere and to add an elegant look to home decorations. Now, Phalaenopsis are extensively grown as houseplants. One thing about Phalaenopsis that they bloom only once or twice a year and their flowers can last for two to three months.
Another prominent sort of orchid that is very good option to beautify your garden is “Thai restaurant orchids”. These forms of orchids are Dendrobium hybrids and can be found easily at Thai restaurants. These restaurants use freshly-cut flowers to decorate tables. Dendrobium orchids are available in many colors. Color options are white, green, purple, pink, yellow and many others. They require a fairly warm environment and this is due to the reason that they could loose their leaves in winter when temperature falls below 60°F (15°C). Actually, Dendrobium is one of the largest orchid species.
Dendrobium class lives as epiphytes and lithophytes in New Guinea, Southern China, Thailand, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Tahiti and more. Some of these require cool night with 50 to 59°F (10 to 15°C) temperature while some of these require warm temperatures in the 80s°F (27°C). For their different environment requirement, it is significant to understand their natural environment to better care these orchids.
One of most favorite types of orchid is lady slipper orchid because of their bizarre appearance. These flowers are different from other types of flowers and have pouch-shaped lips. Terrestrial and lithophytic slipper orchids encompass for genera:
Nearly all Cypripedium and Selenipedium are plants that are fairly tricky to grow. These flowers can be got from fancy grocery store. Variety of colors is available along with this type of orchids, color options are:
- Girlie soft pink
- Eye-catching yellow
- Innocent white
- Dark red
- Green with hairy and warty petals
Boat orchid, Cymbidium enormously grows well in Southern California. These sorts of orchids widely have been depicted in drawings and poetry for more than two thousand years since the time of Confucius. Still, they are popular plants due to their big, showy and long-lasting flowers. The pink, yellow, green, red, brown, peach or combination colored flowers also last wonderfully as cut flowers. If one change water daily and cut down the bottom of the spike, they can look perfect for a month or two in vase.
Garden decoration accents and garden ornaments such as water fountains can be a very positive experience to any garden by requiring minimal space. Garden fountains can provide an oasis and best retreats from stress of daily life. Garden decorations and garden accessories like water fountains can be a centerpiece of a garden. Running water in a fountain can add a soothing element to any garden. Garden fountains and other ornaments personalize the garden with unassuming charm and good taste. Well arranged and settled garden fountains can become a focal point and enhance natural beauty of garden.
Rules for garden decoration are vague. Nothing is pre-defined and all depends on tastes rather than set of rules. Here are some quick facts for installation of garden fountains that will give you cool environment at home:
- The first thing you need to know when you start choosing plants and other ornaments for your entry garden is to think of the places you want to decorate and consider light and other conditions of that place.
- Remember that fences can add authentic appeal and can create sense of privacy in your garden.
- Right selection of water fountain can make your garden best place for enjoyment.
- Garden fountains come in different sizes, styles and shapes. Some are designed to be placed right in the center of garden to make an attractive focal point. Some fountains can be incorporated into an ornamental landscape or can be mounted on exterior wall of home or can be placed on a deck.
- Indoor fountains can be used to place in various locations with various models designed for indoor wall mounting, usable in upright floor standing, to be used as room divider or table top versions that can be adjusted any where.
After installing the garden fountains, you need to take proper care for maintenance of its beauty. Follow the instructions of manufacturer about cleaning and care of installed fountain. Follow these tips for care of your fountain:
- Clean the foundation on regular basis as debris can collect in and on the fountain easily. Make sure to remove leaves, twigs and other debris.
- Check fountain’s water level on daily basis and add fresh water when needed. If you let the water level below the pump’s intake level, it can cause burnout or other damages to the pump.
- Remember that combination of water and sunlight is best for growth of algae therefore add vinegar or hydrogen peroxide or sea salt to the water for prevention of algae growth. You can also add bleach as an alternative.
- Drain out all the water before thorough cleaning of fountain. Use a brush to clean inside of the water reservoir with soap water.
- Thoroughly rinse water in the fountain to remove soap residue.
- Special care is needed in winter season as water can freeze in cold weather. Frozen water will expand that can crack the fountain. It is recommended to drain out all water from fountain in winter season. Keep the fountain dry completely and cover it with non-porous material.
Remember that taking the proper steps can extend life of your garden fountain.
Daylily is usually referred to the species, hybrids and cultivars of the genus Hemerocallis. Gardening experts hybridize these plants, resulting in a wide range of colors and forms of its flowers. To identify its bloom in a garden, one should know about the different parts of plant and also flower characteristics of Hemerocallis.
Here are the main points that will help you in identifying a daylily bloom in a garden.
Hemerocallis Bloom Structure:
Daylily is the common name of Hemerocallis. Its flower is a tubular shaped bloom and is often scented. The petals of the bloom mostly consist of six perianth segments arranged in two rows. If looking at it from above, you will see three inner petals covering with three outer sepals. A daylily with double flowers is known as Polymerous because there are more than six perianth segments in it.
The center vein of a petal or sepal is called midrib that runs along the length. The term midrib is used to describe the color or pattern in a daylily bloom.
The centermost inner part of the flower is called throat, and the place above the throat is called eye zone which creates a visual circle around the flower.
Daylily plants bloom from summer through winter and its blooms last for only one day. Flowers of some species of Hemerocallis open in the morning and shrivel in the evening, whereas some of its species bloom at night.
Perennial Daylily Plant Form:
A daylily plant is the perennial, and grows in a large bunch with long strap-like leaves, mostly 1 ft – 2 ft long. The plant has vertical leafless flower stems known as scapes.
Excluding the bracts, scapes are leafless that appear from the crown of the daylily. Bracts are modified leaves affixed to the scape. These bracts indicate whether more branches will develop in future or not.
The white core between the leaves and the roots is called the crown of a daylily plant. It is planted underground. A part of the crown should be included when dividing the plant. The roots of a plant are quite fibrous, but the whole root system is very thick.
Hemerocallis in Flower Gardens
Generally, daylily plants grow in direct sunlight but they can also easily tolerate partially shady areas. They prefer humid and well-draining soil modified with organic matter. Daylilies also have enough ability to tolerate hard soil conditions, e.g. heavy clay, competition with tree roots for getting water and minerals etc. Also, strong and fully grown daylily plants can tolerate dearth conditions.
Daylily plants need minimum fertilizer for blooming and stay in good health when dug, separated, and replanted almost every three years. They can grow fast, and can easily fill the garden spaces.
Sunflowers are the bold and attractive flowers that add height and beauty to your garden. Their seeds can be sowed directly in outdoor soil, but they are the big attraction for the seed-eating birds and squirrels. Therefore, it is best to start seeding them indoors and later, when the danger of frost and animals is gone can be transplanted to the garden.
Following things are needed to plant sunflower seeds indoors:
- Sunflower seeds
- Terracotta pots
- Terracotta flood trays
- Clear plastic wrap
- Peat moss or Potting soil
- Old spoon or garden trowel
To start, place newspapers or an old cloth on the work area to keep the floor or ground clean.
Prepare the terracotta pots for the sunflower seeds:
The first step is to fill about three-fourth of the each pot with peat moss or potting soil. Place the filled terracotta pots on the flood tray.
Planting the sunflower seeds:
It is important to plant two or three sunflower seeds in each terracotta pot. You can either push the sunflower seeds down into the potting soil or place them on the top of the soil and cover them with another layer of potting soil. It is highly recommended to cover all the seeds with 1 inch of soil.
After planting, gently press the soil and water thoroughly until the soil is humid but not drenched. It is essential to keep the outside of the terracotta pots damp, and also try not to let the water stay in the flood trays for a long time.
Help the sunflower seeds sprout:
After planting the sunflower seeds in pots and placing them in the trays, its time to create a greenhouse effect for the seeds to germinate. For this, tightly cover each terracotta pot with the clear plastic wrap. Ensure that the plastic wrap is free of wrinkles and that the pots are fully sealed. This will help in keeping the moisture inside the growing area.
Place these covered pots in a sunny window and check them daily to ensure they are staying humid. Water them when the top layer of soil is dry. You can check the humidity and give water to them by peeling away a corner of the plastic wrap.
Once the seedlings reach half inch high, remove the plastic wrap and keep them at the room temperature so that the seedlings remain warm enough. Water them whenever necessary and provide enough light to make them grow fast.
The ideal time for transplanting the sunflower seedlings into outdoor soil is when they are a couple of inches tall and strong enough to grow in the outdoor environment.
Starting sunflower seeds indoors not only saves them from animals and cold temperatures but also provides them a good start on the growing season, giving beautiful and lovely flowers and adding splendor to the garden.