Archive for the ‘GROWING PLANTS’ Category
Do you want some perennials in your garden which bloom all year? You will definitely wish that. Year round blooming perennials produce year round flowers and beautify your garden. These specialized plants do not need to be replanted every year. Here is a list of some such perennials.
This perennial ground cover has glossy and dark green leaves. This is a hardy perennial that can grow well in either sun or shade. Wedelia produces yellow flowers which are quite similar to daisies in appearance. While growing wedelia, you should be very careful because being a ground cover; it spreads very quickly and is also considered invasive.
This perennial plant can grow up to 1 foot tall. Having a round shape, African daisy grows in full sun and requires well-drained soil. It produces showy flowers in pink, orange, red, white and yellow color all year.
African iris is a perennial which can grow up to four feet tall. You should grow an African iris in full sun or shade in a well-drained soil. This plant has an upright shape and produces white flowers all year round.
Lantana can grow 3 to 6 feet wide and attracts butterflies. This round shaped plant requires full sun and well-drained soil to grow. Lantana produces clusters of small flowers throughout the year. These aromatic flowers come in different colors including yellow, white, pink, purple, red and orange.
Peace lily can grow up to 6 feet tall and has an encircling shape. Having an average growth rate, this perennial likes part sun or shade to grow well. Growing in well-drained soil, Peace lily produces white flowers.
This perennial produces flowers in shades of white and blue. In cooler climates, it can be grown in full sun but it will require partial shade in areas where summers are too hot.
Red Hot Poker
Red hot poker is a tall plant and can grow up to 5 feet high. It produces multi-colored spikes of flowers in colors ranging from ivory to bright red. Red hot poker requires full sun to grow. Moreover it also requires ample space as a full-grown plant may be three feet wide.
This is my list of those perennials which can be grown to have flowers all year round. You can grow any or all of these to have beautiful blooms throughout year.
Moss has a unique and unusual nature as it does not develop actual root system. Instead of it, this plant produces spores which develop a structure like roots. This root-like structure grows into ground and attaches to the surface. This feature of moss make it the most suitable and attractive plant for creating indoor garden. Do you also want to create an indoor moss garden? If yes then you need some basic supplies and a little bit of efforts to grow indoor moss garden. Here in this post, I will provide you with a set of instructions which will help you a lot in creating indoor moss garden:
- First thing which you will need to grow moss is a suitable container. Moss will easily grow in vessels like small plastic aquariums, glass vases and bottles. Moss also likes humidity to thrive so it looks for an environment where it can get warmth and moisture.
- Next step is to find moss which you will grow indoors. You may have some moss grown in your backyard. For your assistance, I will like to inform you that you can find moss in shaded areas where the soil is damp. You may also find some moss grown at your friend’s house so you can also take some cuttings from there.
- Harvesting outdoor moss should be done carefully using a shovel. While taking a patch of moss make sure that you are also taking an inch of growing medium along with the patch. It is necessary for the safety of moss’s root system. To transport moss to your house, place the cut patch in a plastic plate.
- Take your container and fill one quarter of it with gravel or stones. Then fill up container half full of soil. As moss like acidic conditions to grow, you can also add a skinny layer of peat moss on the top if soil layer. After making a layer of soil, don’t compress it because moss likes loose and non-compacted soil. Place patch of moss on the layer of soil and then press it down making sure it sits properly on top of layer of soil.
- Now place your moss garden in such area of your house which is semi shaded and away from direct sunlight. Mist your moss garden regularly using a spraying bottle filled with water at room temperature. Moss should be kept damp but not saturated with water because over watering can cause moss to rot. Check your moss garden daily to know whether it needs to be misted or not.
These were some basic instructions about growing indoor moss garden. Follow these and have beautiful moss garden indoors.
A greenhouse is actually a closed ecosystem having glass or plastic surfaces. Fresh plants and flowers which are not in season are grown in greenhouse because greenhouses regulate heat balance, humidity as well as light requirements. For this, you will have to keep in mind certain considerations while building a greenhouse. For example, you must make sure that your greenhouse faces southern part of direction. Some other tips on growing flowers in greenhouse are as follows:
- First of all, you will have to maintain proper temperature in your greenhouse. Day time temperature should not exceed 90 degrees. To maintain this temperature, you will require having doors and windows in greenhouse so that they can be opened to provide flowers with proper ventilation especially on sunny and hot days.
- As far as night time temperature is concerned, it should be not less than 50 degrees. You can use a number of ways to maintain night time temperature of greenhouse but it will all depend on area in which your greenhouse is located. One easy method is to fill some 5 gallons bucket with water and place them in greenhouse so that they can collect heat during day. In this way, heat will be retained and greenhouse will remain warm during night. Always place buckets of waters with their lids on them. It is necessary to prevent insects from reproducing in water.
- For proper air circulation and ventilation, use a circulating fan. Circulating fans can be used even when doors and windows are not open. Air circulation is important to provide as it helps growing plants properly.
- Make a schedule to water plants and follow this schedule on regular basis. If you have a smaller greenhouse, it would be enough to water plants once a day but in larger area, you will need to water plants more frequently. Also remember that water requirements of plants increase when temperature rises.
- Tropical plants need humid conditions for their growth. If you have grown tropical flowers in greenhouse, make sure you have provided them with humidity trays. It is very easy to prepare a humidity tray as any plastic tray filled with water and having pebbles in it serves as a humidity tray.
- Last but not the least; you will need to be careful about fertilizing needs of your plants. You can fertilize your plants with either ½ or ¼ strength water soluble fertilizer. Make sure to fertilize plants on weekly basis.
After following these tips, you will be able to grow varieties of flowers in your greenhouse. Some of the popular flowers which can be grown in greenhouse include poppies, zinnias, marigolds and snapdragons.
Orchids have been included in list of home plants for their gorgeous fragrance and variety in shapes, color and sizes. Like other plants, orchid plants also need proper growing conditions. Giving right amount of water at right time to your orchids is one of the basic needs of orchid flowers to grow and thrive. Remember that different species of orchids have different water needs, so you are required to research your particular plant as well as you should also be aware of general watering needs of an orchid.
Orchid plants are typically found in tropical areas. The areas where many orchids are grown receive tremendous rain. These areas can also be very humid in native habits. Ideal humidity level for orchid flowers is 80% but this humidity level could be quite uncomfortable for human to live in so you need to think other strategies to provide your orchids with healthier environment. A very convenient way to humidify your orchids is to water them frequently. You may purchase a deep saucer or and some pebbles. Pour these pebbles into the saucer then water the pebbles. Make sure that the water never touches the actual orchid pot. This way you will be able to create artificial humid climate for your orchid plant.
Very common mistake that people do is over watering their orchids. Many people wait for the soil of their orchid pot to look dry and when it becomes, they feel that their orchid plants need to be watered now. This is not true especially for orchids. The rule to water your orchid plants is to water once a week. Let the potting bark of your orchid plant dry out completely before you water again.
Orchid plants also need to be fertilized but sparingly as well. Buy best fertilizer for your orchid plants from nearby garden shops. Make sure to maintain for watering and fertilizing your orchids is a guarantee in itself that your orchid plants will grow best and you will have exotic plants for a long time.
Orchids will thrive in your home environment if you succeed to provide them with proper care, for instance right amount of water at right time, proper sunlight and best fertilizer occasionally. Orchid flowers are quite beautiful and can also be temperamental. Once you get to know exact needs of your orchids, it is not so complicated to maintain your orchid flowers healthy conditions.
Decoration with Orchids
Decorating interior spaces and gardens with orchid flowers is a good idea to fill spaces that will make you relaxed and feel good. Orchids have long list of advantages that make them perfect for home decoration if you are aware of special care these plants need. You can have this plant by following simple rules to create a huge visual space it is placed in.
Decoration of house or interior space needs much consideration. Use of plants within the whole area is a common idea but it needs much care. Green and leafy plants are always attractive that can greatly transform interior spaces, gardens and offices if perfect orchid is selected to decorate these spaces. Have you ever thought to decorate your home, garden and terrace with orchids? If not then you should think of this to get a new green environment in your home or office.
- A very big advantage of these flowers is that you can keep these flowers fresh for months contrary to other indoor plants.
- These are hardy plants and don’t require much water. They are virtually immortal if and only if you are aware of proper care and maintenance needs of orchard plants.
- They are also considered as best for indoor and garden decorations as you can get wide range of colors that you exactly want for decoration of your chosen space.
Definitely you need to know details that you have to pay attention from very first day you grow orchid plants in your home. Here is very useful information that will help you in making your decoration successful and attractive exactly you have dreamed.
Make Sure to Buy Orchids in Healthy and Good Condition
Remember that healthy and fresh orchids, without diseases and pests, you are guaranteeing more than 60 percent of your success to make your decoration project great. Make sure that there should be no spots on leaves. Bulbs and flowers will help you in determining the health status of orchids you are going to buy.
Think about the Space You Want to Decorate with Orchids
Determine if that selected space is too hot, too cold or it is exposed to lot of breezes. Any extreme condition will be bad for your orchids.
Check Availability of Light of the Place You Want to Decorate
Light is a very important factor to be considered before thinking to select a place for decoration with plants. Some orchids are very resistant to light than others. Make sure to choose right orchids for the space according to light and other conditions to ensure proper growth of orchids without any problem.
Determine Moisture Level of the Space Where you Want to Plant in Orchids
No extreme situation is good for orchids. Don’t make a mistake to place the plants in the area that has either very high or low humidity.
Follow above mentioned basic information that is very necessary to keep your orchid healthy and happy. It is hopped that information provided here will help you to create very attractive space using best orchid flowers.
A greenhouse can proved to be a good and ideal place to grow many plants including orchids. Light, temperature and humidity are some of the conditions which can be maintained very easily in a greenhouse. Greenhouses are of different types and sizes so before purchasing a greenhouse, you should be sure that you understand the conditions which you are going to provide to your orchids.
First element which needs special consideration is light. You will have to control light conditions in your greenhouse according to the type of orchid you have grown. For example, Cattleya orchids like sunlight while Phalaenopsis orchids require bright light but not direct sunlight. They like to be placed in west. In general, orchids should be placed in an area where they can get six hours of light but not direct sunlight.
Since orchids are tropical plants, they need heat and humidity to thrive and both of these elements are present in a greenhouse. To make orchids bloom, you will have to make sure that temperature in greenhouse varies. Orchids will bloom only if there would be a difference of 10 degree F between day and night temperatures. For maintaining such temperatures, you need to have a thermometer in your greenhouse so that you can take readings and adjust temperature accordingly.
Humidity and Ventilation
Orchids like to stay in humid conditions but they do not like to sit in water at all. Water should not pool up in leaves or in soil as it may result in diseases like rot and fungi. Moreover orchids need good air circulation so place a fan near your plants. But fan should be kept clean to avoid spread of diseases from one plant to others.
Orchids need to be fertilized one time a month whether orchids are grown in gardens, greenhouses or in the house. Orchids should be fertilized by a fertilizer having equal amounts of Potassium, Nitrogen and Phosphorus.
These are some necessary requirements or conditions which need to be fulfilled to grow orchids in greenhouse. Growing orchids in greenhouse is beneficial as it allows you to grow plants throughout the year. So control above given conditions in greenhouse and have a healthy orchid greenhouse to provide you pleasure in your leisure time.
Are you looking for a list of flowers that can be grown in greenhouse? If yes then you don’t need to worry as I am going to provide you name of some flowers which can be easily grown in greenhouses. Just look at this list and choose any of these flowers to grow in greenhouse.
African violets have different types and come in a variety of colors including pink, lavender, red, blue and purple. African violets do not grow by seed propagation so they are reproduced through leaf cuttings. They can thrive in a soil low in nutrition but require a lot of humidity. In greenhouse, you can easily provide them with required amount of humidity as conditions in greenhouse are controlled. But you must keep in mind one thing. To provide these flowers with humidity, do not make leaves wet as it may cause leaf spotting.
This is a tropical flowering plant which is very sensitive to cold conditions. These plants produce flowers in elegant colors like pink, red, yellow and white. Its leaves are green and glossy and have tangled edges. Chinese hibiscus requires well-drained and rich soil as well as a lot of water to grow well.
Roses need a lot of protection and care in winter so gardeners living in cold regions can grow roses in greenhouse. Roses in greenhouse can either be grown in pots or ground but in both cases they require quick draining soil. Although roses require full and bright sunlight for at least 8 hours a day, they can be grown in greenhouse under artificial lights. For growing roses in greenhouse, you will require maintaining temperature between 70 and 80 F. Roses should be watered once a week and fertilized monthly with rose fertilizers or fish emulsion.
Lilies require protection from cold and wet conditions so they can be grown in greenhouse by providing them with warmth to keep them blooming for longer period of time. Lilies can be grown in quick draining soil in either ground or pots. Make sure that soil also contain compost and is completely packed around lily bulbs to reduce air pockets. Lilies required to be watered with 1 to 2 inches of water a week. To supplement natural daylight, use lights in greenhouse to provide lilies with 6 to 8 hours of light.
Chenille plant grows up to 5 to 6 feet tall and produces 6 to 8 inches long leaves. Flowers of this plant create almost 18 inches long drooping clusters in bright red color but flowers appear only on female plants. Chenille plants can tolerate any type of soil provided that soil provides the plant with good drainage.
Orchids are both cold and warm sensitive. They mostly like to be grown indoors so are best to grow in greenhouses because in greenhouses, their specific lighting and temperature conditions can be fulfilled easily. Orchids should be grown in those greenhouses which have opaque windows so that they can filter light to protect orchids from burning. Temperature requirements are between 70 and 80 degrees F during day and between 50 and 60 degrees F at night. To maintain this temperature, you can use fans and heaters. Orchids should be watered only when they become dry but you can mist greenhouse after every three days to maintain humidity level.