Archive for the ‘News Updates Surveys’ Category
Tropical plants have their unique needs and requirements like warmth and humidity. If you are living in a cooler region and want to grow tropical plants then the best option is to grow them in greenhouse so that you can control their environment. Here I am going to share with you some tips that will help you a lot in growing tropical plants in greenhouse:
- Firstly, you are required to prepare your greenhouse. Preparation of greenhouse means that you should have to make sure that indoor lights, heater, fan and thermometers are working properly as they are necessary for the healthy growth of tropical plants. Misting system should also be properly installed for maintaining the right amount of humidity.
- Tropical plants should be grown in trays or pots so that they can be moved around when necessary. If you are growing them in pots, make sure that pots have drainage holes in order to avoid standing water. For good nutrition and drainage, tropical plants should be planted in a combination of draining soil and compost.
- Tropical plants should be placed at a location where they can thrive properly. Some tropical plants require shade while others require sunshine so you are required providing them with appropriate environment in greenhouse for their proper growth.
- While organizing the plants in greenhouse, make sure that you have left enough space between plants so that you can walk between them easily for watering and checking them for pest control.
- Tropical plants should be watered every other day with required amount of water because some plants will require more water while some will require less amount of water. To maintain humidity at a level of 50% to 60%, you are required to mist greenhouse daily. For this, you can either use a misting system or a garden hose.
- Temperature should be monitored frequently using thermometer. You can use heater to maintain temperature up to 80 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit. Tropical plants will also require air circulation for which you can use fan. Also use electric lights to provide plants with enough light for 6 to 8 hours a day. If you are using heater or fan, you will also have to take care of moisture of plants as fan or heater can dry the plants quickly.
Follow these simple steps and tips to grow beautiful tropical plants in greenhouse. I hope that this article will be of great use for you.
Flowers are a source of adding beauty and color to your garden. This beauty and color can be increased in another way. What is that? Yes, you can add another decorative and lively element in your garden and that is butterflies. If you want to attract butterflies to your garden, you must know that what types of flowers attract butterflies. For your help and information, I would like to suggest you some flowers that will attract butterflies to your garden.
In Greek language, aster means a star and this name has been given to this plant because its flowers have a shape like that of a star. Being a member of Compositae family, these flowers are commonly found in North America having more than 175 species. These flowers also grow in South America, Europe and Asia. Blooms of aster have yellow color in the center and have a diameter of about half inch to two inches. They have attractive colors like purple, pink, yellow and white. These flowers are perennial and require full sunshine and drained soil for their proper and healthy growth and the kinds of butterflies which they attract include American painted lady, question mark, American snout and sleepy orange butterfly.
These spiky flowers grow on six feet tall woody-stemmed bushes and can be grown from three to ten inches long. Having more than 100 species, these flowers are very fragrant and contain considerable quantity of nectar. They come in beautiful colors like red, purple, blue and pink and the butterflies which they attract include monarch, giant swallowtail, coma and mourning cloak.
These annual flowers grow on long and green stalk and belong to Asteraceae family. These flowers are round-shaped and are popularly known for their attractive colors like yellow, pink, orange and red. Zinnias are native to American Southwest and Mexico but at the same time they are grown in warm climates as well. Butterflies which are attracted by zinnias include silvery checkerspot, painted lady, cloudless sulphur and little glassywing.
These were some types of flowers that attract butterflies towards them so if you want to attract butterflies to your garden, you are required to plant these flowers in your garden.
Growing tropical flowers in your garden gives you immense pleasure as they will add more colors to your garden. But at the same time they need proper care for their healthy growth so some tips are needed to be kept in mind. Are you facing difficulty in taking care of your beautiful tropical flowers? If yes then read the tips given below:
- Tropical flowers should be planted in well-drained garden beds having fertile soil. Another option may be to grow tropical flowers in a pot which should have fertile and quality soil and drainage holes at the bottom of pot.
- Tropical flowers are required to be grown in an area that receives correct amount of sunlight. If you are growing tropical flowers in pots then place them at such a location where they can receive enough light. There are some types of tropical flowers like caladiums that need full shade or four hours of sunlight. Sun-loving tropical flowers including canna and bougainvillea need six or more hours of sunlight.
- Providing mulch to tropical flowers is necessary because it is helpful in keeping the roots cool while maintaining soil dampness therefore I would recommend you to spread a two inch layer of mulch over the top of soil.
- Most of the tropical flowers need to be watered when top half to one inch soil begins to feel dry so provide enough water to dampen top six inches of soil. In case you have grown tropical flowers in pots, you are needed to water them at top of the pot until surplus water drains from bottom of pot.
- Bedding and potted flowers both require to be fertilized at least once in a month. Fertilizer used for this purpose should be soluble and of general purpose. Fertilizing should continue throughout spring and summer. Before fertilizing your tropical flowers, read the package for the recommended rate.
- One last tip is to bring potted flowers indoors before first fall freeze. Evergreen plants should be kept in warm and sunny location and require to be watered continuously through winter season. On the other hand, dormant tropicals should be placed in cool dark location during winter months but take care that environment should be cool but not freezing.
That was all about the care of tropical flowers. Follow these tips to have beautiful tropical flowers in your home.
Zinnias are annual flowers having long stalk. They are mostly grown to decorate flower vases and making floral arrangements. Gardeners love to plant these flowers because of their beautiful colors like red, white, pink, yellow, orange and even these are found in multi-colors. They can also be grown in combination with other flowers to add more beauty to your garden. I am fond of growing different flowers in my garden. This year I decided to grow zinnias and to make it possible I made some research on requirements which are important for their healthy growth. These requirements are as follows:
- Soil condition is very important to consider while growing any kind of flower. So is the case with zinnias. They need well-drained soil having large amount of organic matter. Zinnias can also be grown if soil is poor and not well-drained but to improve their growth, you will be required to make some alteration in soil to get healthy and vigorous flowers.
- When it comes to sowing seeds, you are also required to make some preparations. Sow seeds either in already prepared seed box or directly into flower pots. For best results and in order to have better spacing between the plants, it is recommended to sow seeds indoors in germinating tray or seed box and then planting them in the in plots later.
- When the seedlings become ready for transplanting, plant them in plot after last frost of season. During plant’s growing period they are required to be watered to make the soil damp. This process of watering regularly should be continued until flowers begin to bloom.
- Proper space between plants is also important for their healthy and fit growth but remember that planting distance varies with size of zinnia plant which you want to grow in your garden. Miniature varieties require a distance of 4 to 6 inches between them while gigantic varieties may require a distance of 1 to 2 feet.
- When you feel that plants have been set in beds and are fully established, you will then require putting some mulching material around their base. It is necessary to do so in order to protect plants against weeds and to maintain moisture of soil. You will require providing general purpose fertilizer at least once a month to make zinnia producing more flowers. Mostly zinnias begin to produce flowers during mid-summer until start of frostiness.
- These flowers are also required to be removed when they die away. This will encourage growth of some new blooms. If you have planted giant varieties of zinnia, then prune long branches that stimulate new branches to grow.
- Pest and disease control is necessary for growth of plants but in case of zinnias, you will not require to bother as these plants are tough and defiant to attack of pests and diseases. In spite of this, if you still feel that your plants are attacked by some pests, provide them with insecticidal soap which you can make at home. Fungicides are also very effective in this regard.
Following above given instructions, you will be able to make your garden look colorful with different varieties of zinnias. Zinnias grown in your garden can also be used for making decorations on different events like weddings and birthdays.
Marigolds are attractive and good looking flowers that can enhance grace and beauty of garden. They are very easy to grow and the best thing about these flowers is that their seeds can be preserved to plant these flowers and there is no need to buy them every year. I have done some research on the methods of preserving marigold seeds and the best method which I found is explained below:
Things you will Needs to Dry Seeds
The things that will be required for drying and preserving seeds include:
- Dead Seeds heads of marigolds
- Paper bag
Method of preserving marigold seeds is as follows:
- Picking Time: Marigold seeds are picked during fall season, so choose a sunny morning to pick the seeds but remember to do this after the dew has dried.
- Seeds to Be Picked: Now pick a bunch of seeds from plant that are fleshy and hard. Don’t pick spongy seeds.
- Placing Them in Tray: Place these seeds in a tray spreading them in one layer.
- Drying the Seeds: Place seeds in a warm and dry place. This process can take place in an oven that makes the drying process faster. Temperature required to dry them is 140 degrees. It is very important to let the seeds dry because if they don’t get dry, they will be eaten by bugs and insects and your effort to preserve seeds for next season will go in smoke.
- Storing the Seeds after Drying: After drying the seeds, put them in a paper bag and keep it in a cool and dry place. Do remember to keep them covered to protect them from spiders and mice as seeds are delicious food for them. An interesting fact about the marigold seeds is that each seed has further 150 seeds so picking a few handfuls of seeds would be more than enough for your garden.
Here the process of preserving marigold seeds is completed. Now they are ready to be separated and planted in spring season. Seeds that should be picked must have bright black section, so pick seeds carefully, dry them and then plant them in your garden.
Daylily is usually referred to the species, hybrids and cultivars of the genus Hemerocallis. Gardening experts hybridize these plants, resulting in a wide range of colors and forms of its flowers. To identify its bloom in a garden, one should know about the different parts of plant and also flower characteristics of Hemerocallis.
Here are the main points that will help you in identifying a daylily bloom in a garden.
Hemerocallis Bloom Structure:
Daylily is the common name of Hemerocallis. Its flower is a tubular shaped bloom and is often scented. The petals of the bloom mostly consist of six perianth segments arranged in two rows. If looking at it from above, you will see three inner petals covering with three outer sepals. A daylily with double flowers is known as Polymerous because there are more than six perianth segments in it.
The center vein of a petal or sepal is called midrib that runs along the length. The term midrib is used to describe the color or pattern in a daylily bloom.
The centermost inner part of the flower is called throat, and the place above the throat is called eye zone which creates a visual circle around the flower.
Daylily plants bloom from summer through winter and its blooms last for only one day. Flowers of some species of Hemerocallis open in the morning and shrivel in the evening, whereas some of its species bloom at night.
Perennial Daylily Plant Form:
A daylily plant is the perennial, and grows in a large bunch with long strap-like leaves, mostly 1 ft – 2 ft long. The plant has vertical leafless flower stems known as scapes.
Excluding the bracts, scapes are leafless that appear from the crown of the daylily. Bracts are modified leaves affixed to the scape. These bracts indicate whether more branches will develop in future or not.
The white core between the leaves and the roots is called the crown of a daylily plant. It is planted underground. A part of the crown should be included when dividing the plant. The roots of a plant are quite fibrous, but the whole root system is very thick.
Hemerocallis in Flower Gardens
Generally, daylily plants grow in direct sunlight but they can also easily tolerate partially shady areas. They prefer humid and well-draining soil modified with organic matter. Daylilies also have enough ability to tolerate hard soil conditions, e.g. heavy clay, competition with tree roots for getting water and minerals etc. Also, strong and fully grown daylily plants can tolerate dearth conditions.
Daylily plants need minimum fertilizer for blooming and stay in good health when dug, separated, and replanted almost every three years. They can grow fast, and can easily fill the garden spaces.