Archive for the ‘Decoration Plants’ Category
Moss has a unique and unusual nature as it does not develop actual root system. Instead of it, this plant produces spores which develop a structure like roots. This root-like structure grows into ground and attaches to the surface. This feature of moss make it the most suitable and attractive plant for creating indoor garden. Do you also want to create an indoor moss garden? If yes then you need some basic supplies and a little bit of efforts to grow indoor moss garden. Here in this post, I will provide you with a set of instructions which will help you a lot in creating indoor moss garden:
- First thing which you will need to grow moss is a suitable container. Moss will easily grow in vessels like small plastic aquariums, glass vases and bottles. Moss also likes humidity to thrive so it looks for an environment where it can get warmth and moisture.
- Next step is to find moss which you will grow indoors. You may have some moss grown in your backyard. For your assistance, I will like to inform you that you can find moss in shaded areas where the soil is damp. You may also find some moss grown at your friend’s house so you can also take some cuttings from there.
- Harvesting outdoor moss should be done carefully using a shovel. While taking a patch of moss make sure that you are also taking an inch of growing medium along with the patch. It is necessary for the safety of moss’s root system. To transport moss to your house, place the cut patch in a plastic plate.
- Take your container and fill one quarter of it with gravel or stones. Then fill up container half full of soil. As moss like acidic conditions to grow, you can also add a skinny layer of peat moss on the top if soil layer. After making a layer of soil, don’t compress it because moss likes loose and non-compacted soil. Place patch of moss on the layer of soil and then press it down making sure it sits properly on top of layer of soil.
- Now place your moss garden in such area of your house which is semi shaded and away from direct sunlight. Mist your moss garden regularly using a spraying bottle filled with water at room temperature. Moss should be kept damp but not saturated with water because over watering can cause moss to rot. Check your moss garden daily to know whether it needs to be misted or not.
These were some basic instructions about growing indoor moss garden. Follow these and have beautiful moss garden indoors.
The purpose of growing flowers is not just to beautify the garden but at the same time, flowers can be grown to make bouquets for indoors. Fresh flowers bouquet creates a refreshing and fragrance atmosphere in your home and brightens your mood. All types of flowers can be used for making floral arrangements but flowers which can be cut easily are best for making bouquets. For growing flowers for making floral arrangements, all you need is to choose right type of flowers and little efforts and planning.
You will first have to decide which type of bouquet you want in your home. Mostly flowers with bright and vibrant colors are preferred for this purpose but if you want to give a romantic and soft feeling, you will require growing tiny and delicate flowers. For floral arrangements, flowers of different colors and sizes are required to be grown. Grow flowers having long and strong stalks which can stand up in a vase. Annual flowers should be selected which are labeled as cut flowers. These flowers provide you with a prolonged blooming period as they re-bloom after initial blooms are withered. Some perennials can also be used for bouquets but they bloom only once and fade away for the rest of year. Here are some flowers which you can grow for making bouquets:
- Zinnias are delightful and lovely flowers which come in different colors including red, pink, orange and yellow. They have daisy like blooms making them perfect to be used as cut flowers for bouquets. Zinnias should be planted in a sunny location receiving 6 to 8 hours of sunlight a day. After sowing seeds, cover them lightly with soil and water. Soil should be kept moist until seeds begin to germinate within seven to ten days.
- You can also choose sunflowers. These renowned and beautiful flowers also come in different sizes ranging from miniature to towering plants. Sunflowers are generally expected to produce yellow blooms but now the color range has extended to red and burgundy. I will suggest you growing giant sunflowers at a location where they can receive sunlight for majority of day. Seeds should be planted to a depth of ½ inch and covered with soil. You will require keeping soil damp until plant emerges.
- What about Shasta daisies? They produce beautiful white flowers with yellow centers. They are commonly used for making bouquets because they can be easily paired with any other flower. To grow Shasta daisies, spread seeds in a sunny location and cover with soil keeping soil damp until seedlings germinate.
Besides these flowers, fillers having appealing foliage should also be included in a bouquet to add color and texture. You can grow rosemary, lavender, and different herbs for this purpose.
Plants are living things and having them in interiors of house is quite healthy and beneficial. They provide beauty and elegance as well as they provide oxygen and absorb carbon dioxide. Growing and displaying plants in interiors of your house is a healthy activity. You can have a plenty of ideas to decorate your home interiors and it all depends on your imagination and aesthetic sense.
In this article, you will find some useful tips and instructions to use house plants for interior decoration.
- First of all, you should use a plant design company that will help you purchasing suitable plants.
- To hide a problem area, use large tree-like plants. They can also help you to fill a vacant corner. But tree like plants can be used only if there is a high ceiling and a place having plenty of light. You can use palm tree for this purpose. Palm and Coconut trees can also be used near your swimming pool. By doing this, your window will provide you with a feeling of living on Tropical Island and it will enhance the sophistication of your home.
- Here you might be faced with the problem because taking care of such big plants is not an easy task. Watering, fertilizing and maintaining these plants can give you some trouble as you will have to protect flooring and carpets from damage while watering. Every problem has a solution, so to keep your carpet protected from damages; you can use mats and wooden blocks or any other robust object.
- To decorate your home further by using plants, you can place hanging plants around your home. The recommended locations for placing hanging plants are windows and corners of rooms. But take care that these plants should not be placed in the way of foot traffic.
- Some other plants can be placed on pedestals made of metal, iron or glass. Pedestals may also be made of wood or marble. The best places to put the pedestals are unfilled corner, windows or a blank wall. Pedestals are actually plant stands that may also include mantle and a book shelf. It is recommended to use plants having bright colored flowers in pedestals.
- Another very important thing is that you should take care that the plant stand is strong and stable so that it can hold up the plant.
You will find the above mentioned tips quite useful in decorating interiors of your home with house plants.
Gardening is a wonderful hobby but it is not a simple task unless you know the basic knowledge of planting and taking care of different kinds of plants and flowers. Fortunately, there are some easy-to-follow tips which can help you in making gardening easy and enjoyable. They are briefly discussed below:
- Identify the suitable area for planting:
Before start planting, you need to identify the suitable area of the garden where you want to plant the flowers. Generally, plants and flowers require proper and adequate sunlight to thrive and grow. But it should be remembered that different flowers need different amount of sunlight. Some flowers flourish well in direct sunlight while others need indirect sunlight to bloom fully.
Therefore, you should not only know the basic light requirements of the specific flower you want to grow, but also know that particular area of your garden where that flower will get enough sunlight and thrive well.
- Buy the flowers carefully:
Planting should be done properly so that flowers can bloom soon. For this, always try to buy those flowers which have the tags attached to it. These tags provide you the necessary instructions for planting the flowers in a most suitable way.
There are several kinds of flowers that you can buy. Some of them are perennial flowers, annual flowers, flower bulbs, and roses.
Perennial flowers include perennial fruits (such as banana), perennial herbs (such as fennel), and perennial vegetables (such as eggplant). On the other hand, annual flowers include henbit, peas, deadnettle, chickweed, winter cress, etc.
Flower bulbs and roses can also add beauty and color to your garden. Flower bulbs include flowers like daffodils, tulips, crocus, allium, etc. On the other hand, different types of roses are also available such as hybrid tea roses, floribunda roses, shrub roses, and polyantha roses.
Besides flower bulbs and roses, it is always best to purchase perennial flowers as they bloom yearly, on the other hand, if you go for the annual flowers then they will last only for a year and need replanting next year. You can also consider purchasing inexpensive wild flower seeds to make other areas of your garden more colorful. However, the selection of flowers entirely depends on you.
- Plant the flowers properly:
When planting, you need to follow the instructions given on the tags. Mix some fertilizer in the soil and water it thoroughly so that the soil absorbs maximum water which is good for the proper growth of the flowers. Ensure that flowers are placed into a loose soil flower bed, providing each of them proper space. It is also necessary to transfer the flowers carefully into the dug hole to avoid any damage to the stem or leaves. After placing the flowers, fill the hole with the soil and water the plants.
After planting, dispersing a thin layer of mulch over the flower bed not only helps in preventing weed growth but also give a finished look to the flower bed. Regular watering and frequently feeding will reward you with colorful and beautiful flowers in the coming spring season.
Thus, by following these simple tips, a novice can easily create his own wonderful flower garden. And if perennial flowers are grown in the garden then they will bloom every year adding colors to your garden.
Orchid plants are very fastidious, bearing the most attractive flowers having a wide range of colors. They can easily be grown both indoors and outdoors with minimum amount of care. Some of the Orchid species require to be kept in greenhouses, whereas some varieties of Orchids can grow among other house plants.
Growing Orchids indoor and outdoor could be a great fun. You just need to know some important general guidelines.
Natural light is very vital for the Orchid plants. Normally, an east or west facing window is more suitable for the growth of these plants. Direct sunlight can be harmful for them; therefore, you need to make sure that they are placed in the shaded area, having indirect sunlight. They need to have 10 to 15 hours of light everyday. Artificial lights can also be used in winter season.
Proper temperature is also necessary throughout the year for the good growth of Orchids because Orchid plants do not bear hot and unventilated conditions. They need to have daytime temperatures about 70 F in summer season and 60 F in winter season. In cold and frosty nights, keep your Orchid plants away from windows.
Watering is also very significant for the proper growth of these plants. Overwatering is fatal for them; therefore, let surplus water to seep away. You should water them when you feel that the growing medium is about to dry. Usually, watering the Orchid plants once a week would be enough.
Orchid plants flourish well in a humid atmosphere. Placing the plant on a tray of small wet pebbles would be quite helpful in increasing the humidity level. Be sure to place the Orchid pot on the top of the pebble layer, not in the water. The water around the pebbles will fade away and moisturize the air around the plant.
When growing Orchids, regular fertilization will lead the plant to grow soon and bloom well. But it should be kept in mind that over fertilization will harm or destroy the plant completely. Giving fertilizer twice a month is highly recommended. Avoid feeding the plant during winter season.
It is also important to know that you should reduce watering and fertilizing the Orchid plants once they stop blooming. Start giving water and fertilizer regularly when new leaves begin to appear.
The yellowish or brownish spots on the leaves are the indication that plant has red spider insects on it. In this situation the leaves wither away prematurely.
Re-pot the plant in new medium when you see small yellowish leaves with few or no flowers because this condition shows that the plant needs fertilizer or the medium is too damp. After repotting, water it carefully.
If your Orchid plant is unable to grow flower buds properly, it means that temperature is too cold or too hot for the plant. In this condition, you need to keep it in proper place.
Orchid plants can grow well in the places like cellars, terraces, or living rooms only if they are provided with appropriate light, temperature and moisture.
The wild Orchids are beautiful flowers that everybody should have in his/her garden or in the backyard. They grow in different style and have a unique look. The good thing about wild Orchids is that they have wide range of species; each kind of specie has its own unique and attractive form and vibrant coloring. The most popular types of wild Orchids are Lady’s Slipper, Calanthe, and White Egret.
One of the most admired wild orchid types is the Lady’s Slipper which comes in a number of different varieties varying typically in the size of the flower and colors. Snowy color Lady’s Slipper is thought to be the most attractive and is in high demand by the Orchid lovers.
Many of these Orchids are about three inches in diameter and come in colors like pink, purple, or maroon with white blended in all over the petals. The wild Orchids can reach about two feet of height when fully grown. This is the maximum height of the Orchid plant.
Calanthe variety of Orchids is the more classic in shape, and has variety of colors. They give more flowers per stalk than the Lady’s Slipper. These Orchids are able to flourish in almost every climate on condition that you keep them in moderate temperature and prevent them from exposing in the direct sunshine or in the frost of winter season.
The most distinctive kind of wild Orchid is White Egret. It commonly grows in Asia and has been successfully flourishing in the United States. Its different appearance makes it feel like a flying bird. As its name shows, this type of wild Orchid comes only in white flowers. A completely grown flowering spike can have ten flowers, and can attain the height of sixteen inches.
Orchids, in general, bear capsules which contain thousands of microscopic seeds. These seeds need to have Mycorrhizal fungi to sprout. Therefore, wild Orchids require producing lots of seeds in order to grow and become a fully grown flowering plant because only the small portion of all the seeds has the ability to germinate and become a plant.
It takes at least 3 to 5 years to turn a seed into a plant and bear flowers. Some of the wild Orchids even take 15 years from seed to fully grown orchid plants, bearing flowers. Therefore, deciding to grow Orchid from seed is not a good idea as it is very time-consuming process and you need to be very patient as well.
Specialized horticultural methods abolish the requirement of fungi which the wild Orchid needs. You can easily buy a plant from the plant sales outlets and then providing adequate water and humidity will be enough for the plant to grow. Taking proper care of it will give you flowers that last for more than a month, giving you inner satisfaction and pleasure.
Cattleya Orchids are the magnificent and the beautiful kind of Orchids in the Orchid family. The Cattleya Orchid is given name after William Cattleya who was the horticulturist and orchid collector in the 19th century. A lot of Cattleya Orchids grow in the rain forests of Central and South America. They flourish very well in the high altitudes of the Andes mountain range and in regions at sea level. They need moisture and light to grow.
Cattleya Orchids are mainly divided into two categories.
1) Unifolate – with only one leaf
2) Bifoliate – with two or more leaves
Both types of Orchids are popular as they bear large, ostentatious flowers that are broadly used in flower arrangements and bouquets.
Cattleya Orchids are Epiphytic Orchids, i.e. air plants. They have big, plump roots (pseudobulbs) for collecting and storing rain water as they flourish naturally on trees. Over the period of time, these Orchids have been widely hybridized and now Cattleya Orchids are available in all colors, except true black and blue. Talking about the structure of the Cattleya Orchid flower, it has three petals, one of which is an eye-catching lip that has grown to draw the attention of pollinating insects.
Cattleya Orchids come from diverse natural environments therefore they require special augmentation conditions. For fine blossoming condition, they need day temperatures between 75 degrees F and 85 degrees F, and night temperatures between 55 degrees F and 65 degrees F.
The favorable humidity level needs to be between 50% and 60% for proper growth. This humidity level can effortlessly be attained by keeping the Orchid pot on a damp plate that is filled with pebbles and water. While doing this, you need to be very careful. Make sure that its roots should not be in water for extended period of time because they will decompose. To avoid Cattleya plants from fungal infection, you need to maintain the moderate amount of air circulation. Cattleya Orchids flourish best in indirect sunlight.
Cattleya Orchids differ in size and color. You need to have a proper knowledge and information about them whether you want to buy them or grow them in your garden.