Posts Tagged ‘Tips to Grow Sunflowers in Fluorescent Light’
Sunflowers are most loved flowers because in summer, they add color to your garden and in winter, potted sunflowers indoors brighten a sad and dull winter day. Sunflowers are among those flowers which require a lot of light so the people who want to grow sunflowers indoors must have a proper arrangement of light. The best thing you can do in this regard is to use a fluorescent light to grow your sunflowers indoors. Fluorescent lights are quite beneficial for growing sunflowers indoors whether you are growing them in winter or growing them to plant outdoors later. Here I am going to provide you some tips that will make it easy for you to grow sunflowers indoors with fluorescent light:
- Firstly, you will prepare your pots in which you are going to plant your sunflowers so fill the pots with a fertile potting mix containing moss, peat and compost. If you have a plan to transplant the seedlings later then you can use small pots. But make sure that these pots should have a diameter of at least one foot so that they can handle large roots of sunflowers.
- As you are going to grow flowers indoors so you are needed to choose smallest types of sunflowers like Teddy Bear and Big Smile. These two varieties are best choices for potted sunflowers as they can’t grow more than two feet tall.
- Now it comes to plant the seeds. While doing this, make sure that you are planting two or three seeds in a pot. After sowing the seeds almost two inches deep, water them well.
- As natural light is best for the growth of sunflowers, place the pots in a sunny window. Fluorescent light is used to fulfill deficiency of exposure to natural light in winter.
- Try to use the brightest fluorescent light for your indoors sunflowers and put the lights in a fixture which is capable of holding two tubes. Arrange these lights in such a way that they are few inches away from the soil surface. The purpose of using lights is to make sure that sunflower seeds receive 12 hours of light in a day either all light from fluorescent tubes or by the combination of natural and artificial light.
- When you see that your seedlings have begun to grow, raise the lights to provide them enough room for their growth. Ensure that lights are always a few inches from the tallest plant.
- Fluorescent lights should be kept on indoors sunflowers for their whole life to make sure that your sunflowers are getting lights for 12 hours a day until the plants begin to produce flowers.
That was all about growing sunflowers indoors using artificial lights. These steps are quite simple so you can easily follow them to make your home looming bright even in gloomy winter season.