Posts Tagged ‘planting tips’
Orchids have been included in list of home plants for their gorgeous fragrance and variety in shapes, color and sizes. Like other plants, orchid plants also need proper growing conditions. Giving right amount of water at right time to your orchids is one of the basic needs of orchid flowers to grow and thrive. Remember that different species of orchids have different water needs, so you are required to research your particular plant as well as you should also be aware of general watering needs of an orchid.
Orchid plants are typically found in tropical areas. The areas where many orchids are grown receive tremendous rain. These areas can also be very humid in native habits. Ideal humidity level for orchid flowers is 80% but this humidity level could be quite uncomfortable for human to live in so you need to think other strategies to provide your orchids with healthier environment. A very convenient way to humidify your orchids is to water them frequently. You may purchase a deep saucer or and some pebbles. Pour these pebbles into the saucer then water the pebbles. Make sure that the water never touches the actual orchid pot. This way you will be able to create artificial humid climate for your orchid plant.
Very common mistake that people do is over watering their orchids. Many people wait for the soil of their orchid pot to look dry and when it becomes, they feel that their orchid plants need to be watered now. This is not true especially for orchids. The rule to water your orchid plants is to water once a week. Let the potting bark of your orchid plant dry out completely before you water again.
Orchid plants also need to be fertilized but sparingly as well. Buy best fertilizer for your orchid plants from nearby garden shops. Make sure to maintain for watering and fertilizing your orchids is a guarantee in itself that your orchid plants will grow best and you will have exotic plants for a long time.
Orchids will thrive in your home environment if you succeed to provide them with proper care, for instance right amount of water at right time, proper sunlight and best fertilizer occasionally. Orchid flowers are quite beautiful and can also be temperamental. Once you get to know exact needs of your orchids, it is not so complicated to maintain your orchid flowers healthy conditions.
Gardening is a wonderful hobby but it is not a simple task unless you know the basic knowledge of planting and taking care of different kinds of plants and flowers. Fortunately, there are some easy-to-follow tips which can help you in making gardening easy and enjoyable. They are briefly discussed below:
- Identify the suitable area for planting:
Before start planting, you need to identify the suitable area of the garden where you want to plant the flowers. Generally, plants and flowers require proper and adequate sunlight to thrive and grow. But it should be remembered that different flowers need different amount of sunlight. Some flowers flourish well in direct sunlight while others need indirect sunlight to bloom fully.
Therefore, you should not only know the basic light requirements of the specific flower you want to grow, but also know that particular area of your garden where that flower will get enough sunlight and thrive well.
- Buy the flowers carefully:
Planting should be done properly so that flowers can bloom soon. For this, always try to buy those flowers which have the tags attached to it. These tags provide you the necessary instructions for planting the flowers in a most suitable way.
There are several kinds of flowers that you can buy. Some of them are perennial flowers, annual flowers, flower bulbs, and roses.
Perennial flowers include perennial fruits (such as banana), perennial herbs (such as fennel), and perennial vegetables (such as eggplant). On the other hand, annual flowers include henbit, peas, deadnettle, chickweed, winter cress, etc.
Flower bulbs and roses can also add beauty and color to your garden. Flower bulbs include flowers like daffodils, tulips, crocus, allium, etc. On the other hand, different types of roses are also available such as hybrid tea roses, floribunda roses, shrub roses, and polyantha roses.
Besides flower bulbs and roses, it is always best to purchase perennial flowers as they bloom yearly, on the other hand, if you go for the annual flowers then they will last only for a year and need replanting next year. You can also consider purchasing inexpensive wild flower seeds to make other areas of your garden more colorful. However, the selection of flowers entirely depends on you.
- Plant the flowers properly:
When planting, you need to follow the instructions given on the tags. Mix some fertilizer in the soil and water it thoroughly so that the soil absorbs maximum water which is good for the proper growth of the flowers. Ensure that flowers are placed into a loose soil flower bed, providing each of them proper space. It is also necessary to transfer the flowers carefully into the dug hole to avoid any damage to the stem or leaves. After placing the flowers, fill the hole with the soil and water the plants.
After planting, dispersing a thin layer of mulch over the flower bed not only helps in preventing weed growth but also give a finished look to the flower bed. Regular watering and frequently feeding will reward you with colorful and beautiful flowers in the coming spring season.
Thus, by following these simple tips, a novice can easily create his own wonderful flower garden. And if perennial flowers are grown in the garden then they will bloom every year adding colors to your garden.
Orchid is not a new name for garden lovers and nature lovers. It is one of the most desired flower plants among gardeners. Orchid flowers are most beautiful and sophisticated flowers but growing these flowers needs special care and attention. Gardeners are required to provide them with most accurate atmospheric conditions. There are several types of orchid flowers plants and each type has different features. If you carefully observe needs of your orchid plant then your orchids will really embellish your garden. You must be aware of commonly grown types of orchid flower plants. These types include:
Here is information about basic needs of orchids that should be in knowledge of all gardeners and flowers lovers:
Orchid plants need about 60% of humidity. Greenhouse is the best place to grow orchid plants as there is best humidity level for orchid plants. You can also grow these plants in humidity tray that can be bought from store. You can also make your humidity tray at home. Take a saucer or tray and fill it with water and rocks and keep orchids in it.
Light and Air
If you are growing orchids inside then sunlight is not required but ventilation is very important for indoor orchids. Switch on the fan or open window of room to keep your orchids free from pest and bacteria.
Keep checking the roots of your orchids to know if it needs water. Filtered water is best option to keep your orchids fresh. Prefer week fertilizer solution for your orchids. Wait for 3-4 watering intervals after one fertilizer to next fertilizer application. If you maintain this routine of watering and fertilizer application then you will keep your orchids in good health.
This is the feature that can be compromised with as it is not important for orchid growth. Some orchids need warm temperature but most of orchid plants are friendlier to cool temperature. If you feel that your orchids got hotter than cool them with water.
Change their pots after every 1-2 year. It is the best time to change the pot when you see your plant has become old.
Decide which pesticide you will apply either natural or artificial. If you have decided to use artificial one, then identify the pests and select pesticide accordingly. Do these precautions to prevent your orchid from pests and bacteria:
- Repot your orchids
- Blend some dish washer in water. Remember the water’s quantity should be much more.
- Make a mixture of water and bleach. Water’ quantity should be in greater proportion.
- Another very important remedy for indoor orchids is to keep only inside the house.
Garden decoration accents and garden ornaments such as water fountains can be a very positive experience to any garden by requiring minimal space. Garden fountains can provide an oasis and best retreats from stress of daily life. Garden decorations and garden accessories like water fountains can be a centerpiece of a garden. Running water in a fountain can add a soothing element to any garden. Garden fountains and other ornaments personalize the garden with unassuming charm and good taste. Well arranged and settled garden fountains can become a focal point and enhance natural beauty of garden.
Rules for garden decoration are vague. Nothing is pre-defined and all depends on tastes rather than set of rules. Here are some quick facts for installation of garden fountains that will give you cool environment at home:
- The first thing you need to know when you start choosing plants and other ornaments for your entry garden is to think of the places you want to decorate and consider light and other conditions of that place.
- Remember that fences can add authentic appeal and can create sense of privacy in your garden.
- Right selection of water fountain can make your garden best place for enjoyment.
- Garden fountains come in different sizes, styles and shapes. Some are designed to be placed right in the center of garden to make an attractive focal point. Some fountains can be incorporated into an ornamental landscape or can be mounted on exterior wall of home or can be placed on a deck.
- Indoor fountains can be used to place in various locations with various models designed for indoor wall mounting, usable in upright floor standing, to be used as room divider or table top versions that can be adjusted any where.
After installing the garden fountains, you need to take proper care for maintenance of its beauty. Follow the instructions of manufacturer about cleaning and care of installed fountain. Follow these tips for care of your fountain:
- Clean the foundation on regular basis as debris can collect in and on the fountain easily. Make sure to remove leaves, twigs and other debris.
- Check fountain’s water level on daily basis and add fresh water when needed. If you let the water level below the pump’s intake level, it can cause burnout or other damages to the pump.
- Remember that combination of water and sunlight is best for growth of algae therefore add vinegar or hydrogen peroxide or sea salt to the water for prevention of algae growth. You can also add bleach as an alternative.
- Drain out all the water before thorough cleaning of fountain. Use a brush to clean inside of the water reservoir with soap water.
- Thoroughly rinse water in the fountain to remove soap residue.
- Special care is needed in winter season as water can freeze in cold weather. Frozen water will expand that can crack the fountain. It is recommended to drain out all water from fountain in winter season. Keep the fountain dry completely and cover it with non-porous material.
Remember that taking the proper steps can extend life of your garden fountain.