Tips to Grow a Black Rose Plant
Posted May 16, 2011on:
To tell you the truth, black roses don’t actually exist. They only look black because of their dark and deep red color. There are different types of black roses but the most popular among them is Black Jade and most of the gardeners like to grow this rose plant. If you are also interested in growing Black Jade in your garden then you must know about all the tips and requirements to grow them properly. Some of the most important tips are given below:
- Black Jade should be planted in sandy soil so if you feel that your soil is very heavy due to clay then you will require adding some sand or organic mulch in soil. As far as location requirements are concerned, these roses need partial shade to grow healthily. After planting, pack the soil slackly around plant and then water.
- The soil should be kept hardly moist to grow black rose properly and take care that water should not stand as this may cause mold growth. I made this mistake while growing my black roses and lost them consequently so I will strongly recommend you to take care of this factor. During hot weather, black roses should be watered at least thrice a week.
- Fertilizing is also important so add fertilizer soil making sure that the fertilizer has been especially made for roses. For fertilizing properly, follow instructions given on fertilizer bag. Mostly black roses need to be fertilized at start of their growing season and once in middle of their growing season.
- Rose bush should be pruned in winter. Months of January and February are best for this purpose. Prune the rose bush all the way down in such a way that only four to six inches is left on stem.
- You will constantly need to watch plants for brown spots on leaves or petals because these plants are delicate and defenseless to fungus. So if you find spots on leaves, immediately treat your plant with a fungicide.
Black roses need special care while growing them so follow above mentioned tips and have a healthy black rose plant in your garden.