Tips to Grow Jewel Orchids
Posted April 25, 2011on:
Jewel Orchids are the only type of orchids that are grown for its foliage instead of its flowers because it has beautiful velvety leaves. They look even more beautiful when they are grown in combination with other flowers. Are you also thinking of growing Jewel Orchids? If yes then I must tell you that growing Jewel Orchids is not difficult at all provided that you follow some important tips. These tips are:
- Jewel Orchids require premium sphagnum or commercial terrestrial orchid mix so Jewel Orchids should be planted in right medium. If you have a stem cutting with you, you will be able to get it to root by placing it in water. After the Jewel Orchid has been rooted, you can gently pot it in sphagnum or orchid mix. Here you should make sure that roots are completely covered and soil can drain well because Jewel Orchids like damp conditions but they don’t like standing water at all.
- Since Jewel Orchids like warmth and humidity so you will require choosing a right spot for their better growth. Jewel Orchids should never be grown in cool areas. Interestingly, Jewel Orchids grow very well in bathrooms as they like humid conditions and grow well under fluorescent lighting.
- Jewel Orchids naturally grow in tropical rainforests therefore they grow best when they are provided with plenty of humidity. If you will provide sufficient humidity to your Jewel Orchids, you will see your orchids growing rapidly and flowering more. Though Jewel Orchids can also grow exterior of a terrarium, you can use terrarium to provide adequate dampness for their better growth.
- Jewel Orchids require to be fertilized once a month. You are recommended to fertilize Jewel Orchids with such a product that is specific for terrestrial orchids. Good fertilizers will help you growing beautiful and healthy Jewel Orchids.
- Jewel Orchids require to be watered regularly as they don’t like to be dry. One thing that is most important to remember is that they don’t like standing water either so wait until the soil begins to dry out before watering again. Don’t over-water your Jewel Orchids as dry Jewel Orchids are easier to protected than those damaged by damp conditions.
These were some important tips regarding healthy growth of Jewel Orchids. Follow these tips with full faith and confidence and have beautiful Jewel Orchids in your garden.