Growing Orchids Indoors
Posted March 30, 2011on:
Growing orchids indoors is somewhat difficult task because it requires a lot of efforts and patience on part of grower. If you are also interested in growing orchids indoors but are not aware of exact conditions and instructions then read this article in which I have provided a number of useful instructions for growing orchids indoors:
- First step is to choose right variety of orchids. Those who are familiar with orchid types and varieties can buy these plants from any grocery store but people who don’t know much about orchids are required to purchase orchids from a good nursery. Personnel in nursery can prove very helpful because they can give tips about basics of growing orchids indoors. While choosing orchid plants, make sure that they don’t have black or brown patches on their leaves as these patches indicate that orchid plants have been attacked by a disease. Yellow leaves of orchid plants also show their poor health condition. Those orchids should be selected which have bright green foliage.
- You should also provide a suitable growing environment to orchids. As far as lighting is concerned, place orchids at a location which receives bright but filtered light. It is better to place them at a window facing east. If you don’t have such locations in your home then place orchids near a window and provide them with sheer curtains to protect them from intense sunlight.
- Orchids also require humidity for their healthy growth. Humidity can be provided either by using a humidifier or placing a tray or dish of wet gravel under the pot containing orchids. While doing this, make sure that plant does not remain in standing water since damp conditions may become a cause of different diseases.
- Water your indoor orchids only when soil gets dry. Most of new growers make a mistake by over watering their plants. If you want to check whether the pot is dry or not then follow a simple tip. Take a sharpened pencil and dig it in the soil near center. If the wood of pencil becomes wet after removing from soil, then it means that there is no need to water plants.
- Special care should be taken while potting. Keep in mind that orchids require proper drainage because orchids grow well when their roots are dry. Therefore potting medium should be permeable and light. In order to provide optimal drainage to plants, use a clay pot having large drainage holes.
- Feed your orchids regularly for their healthy growth. Feeding is necessary to ensure that plant is receiving all essential nutrients. Fertilizer solution with half or quarter strength can be applied to plants once a month during their growing season.
Above tips and instructions will help you to learn how to provide required environment to your indoor orchids and they will grow with their utmost beauty.