Requirements to Grow Zinnia Flowers
Posted March 28, 2011on:
Zinnias are annual flowers having long stalk. They are mostly grown to decorate flower vases and making floral arrangements. Gardeners love to plant these flowers because of their beautiful colors like red, white, pink, yellow, orange and even these are found in multi-colors. They can also be grown in combination with other flowers to add more beauty to your garden. I am fond of growing different flowers in my garden. This year I decided to grow zinnias and to make it possible I made some research on requirements which are important for their healthy growth. These requirements are as follows:
- Soil condition is very important to consider while growing any kind of flower. So is the case with zinnias. They need well-drained soil having large amount of organic matter. Zinnias can also be grown if soil is poor and not well-drained but to improve their growth, you will be required to make some alteration in soil to get healthy and vigorous flowers.
- When it comes to sowing seeds, you are also required to make some preparations. Sow seeds either in already prepared seed box or directly into flower pots. For best results and in order to have better spacing between the plants, it is recommended to sow seeds indoors in germinating tray or seed box and then planting them in the in plots later.
- When the seedlings become ready for transplanting, plant them in plot after last frost of season. During plant’s growing period they are required to be watered to make the soil damp. This process of watering regularly should be continued until flowers begin to bloom.
- Proper space between plants is also important for their healthy and fit growth but remember that planting distance varies with size of zinnia plant which you want to grow in your garden. Miniature varieties require a distance of 4 to 6 inches between them while gigantic varieties may require a distance of 1 to 2 feet.
- When you feel that plants have been set in beds and are fully established, you will then require putting some mulching material around their base. It is necessary to do so in order to protect plants against weeds and to maintain moisture of soil. You will require providing general purpose fertilizer at least once a month to make zinnia producing more flowers. Mostly zinnias begin to produce flowers during mid-summer until start of frostiness.
- These flowers are also required to be removed when they die away. This will encourage growth of some new blooms. If you have planted giant varieties of zinnia, then prune long branches that stimulate new branches to grow.
- Pest and disease control is necessary for growth of plants but in case of zinnias, you will not require to bother as these plants are tough and defiant to attack of pests and diseases. In spite of this, if you still feel that your plants are attacked by some pests, provide them with insecticidal soap which you can make at home. Fungicides are also very effective in this regard.
Following above given instructions, you will be able to make your garden look colorful with different varieties of zinnias. Zinnias grown in your garden can also be used for making decorations on different events like weddings and birthdays.